Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Karen <ka...@gmail.com> on 2021/04/07 20:27:38 UTC

[DISCUSS] Build error message guideline

Hi all,

As discussed in SPIP: Standardize Exception Messages in Spark (
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XGj1o3xAFh8BA7RCn3DtwIPC6--hIFOaNUNSlpaOIZs/edit?usp=sharing),
improving error message quality in Apache Spark involves establishing an
error message guideline for developers. Error message style guidelines are
common practice across open-source projects, for example PostgreSQL (
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/error-style-guide.html).

To move towards the goal of improving error message quality, we would like
to start building an error message guideline. We have attached a rough
draft to kick off this discussion:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12k4zmaKmmdm6Pk63HS0N1zN1QT-6TihkWaa5CkLmsn8/edit?usp=sharing
.

Please let us know what you think should be in the guideline! We look
forward to building this as a community.

Thank you,

Karen Feng

Re: [DISCUSS] Build error message guideline

Posted by Karen <ka...@gmail.com>.
I've created a PR to add the error message guidelines to the Spark
contributing guide. Would appreciate some eyes on it!
https://github.com/apache/spark-website/pull/332

Posted by Yuming Wang <wg...@gmail.com>.
+1 LGTM.

Posted by Karen <ka...@gmail.com>.