Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Vinay Purohit <Vi...@trianz.com> on 2008/06/04 06:35:45 UTC

[users@httpd] Diffeerent Apache Daemon on RHEL5.1

Hi All,

I would like to create different apache2.2.8 daemon on RHEL5.1 so that
they can be started and stopped without affecting each other. I do the
same on windows by creating IP based virtual server as different daemon.
To achieve the same on RHEL5.1 I considered the following two
appraoches. I am incliend towards approach 1. Please suggest if approach
1 is better suited over approach 2. Any comment ? risks ?

Approach - 1 (Virtual Servers having same IP Address but with different
hostnames and port numbers)

Step 1 - Edit host file with different hostname (daemon) with same IP
Address

             Like -   10.10.2.97 - redhat.apple.com

                        10.10.2.97 - vs1.apple.com

                        10.10.2.97 - vs2.apple.com .... Till n number of
daemon.

            For each virtual server configuration

Step 2 - Create a new server root folder like /usr/App/Apa1

Step 3 - Copy conf, htdocs and logs from existing main Apache build path
(/usr/App/Apa) to /usr/App/Apa1.

Step 4 - Edit httpd.conf file under /usr/App/Apa1/conf as mentioned in
the steps below

a.       ServerName vs1.apple.com:90

b.       Listen 90

c.       DocumentRoot "/usr/App/Apa1/htdocs"

d.       <Directory "/usr/App/Apa1/htdocs">

e.       ServerRoot "/usr/App/Apa1"

Step 5 - Edit httpd-ssl.conf under /usr/App/Apa1/conf/extra as following
-

a.       <VirtualHost _default_:636>

b.       ServerName vs1.apple.com:636

c.       Listen 636

d.       DocumentRoot "/usr/App/Apa1/htdocs"

Repeat step 2 to 5 for any additional virtual servers
(/usr/App/Apa2.....n) with different host/server name, server root and
ports

Approach - 2 (Virtual Servers having different IP Address with different
hostnames and port numbers)

Step 1 - Create different virtual host with different IP Address

Step 2 - Follow the steps 2 to 5 in Approach - 1

\Vinay

Re: [users@httpd] Diffeerent Apache Daemon on RHEL5.1

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 10:45 AM, André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> wrote:

> Eric Covener wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 8:46 AM, Wilda, Jet
>> <Je...@chasepaymentech.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>       Check this
>>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/apache/users/351116?do=post_view_threaded
>>> out.  I think that is what you are asking.
>>>

>> Copying binaries doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.
>>
> Hi.
>
> You're right, on the face of it it does not seem to make a lot of sense.
> You should be able easily to run 2 instances of Apache from the same
> binaries.
>
> But I think that what Jet is trying to tell you, is that that if you do
> that, you will have problems with the standard system Apache start and stop
> scripts, like /etc/init.d/apache2.

Looks like you're right, The RedHat sysvint script does seem to be
imposing a problem here.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

Re: [users@httpd] Diffeerent Apache Daemon on RHEL5.1

Posted by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 07:54, Vinay Purohit <Vi...@trianz.com> wrote:
> Can you please provide me the script which is required to start and stop the apache daemon. As you said

Our script is pretty site specific, you wouldn't be able to use it
without a lot of changes. Writing such a script is trivial. You just
need to call httpd with the correct options.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
krist@vanbesien.org

RE: [users@httpd] Diffeerent Apache Daemon on RHEL5.1

Posted by Vinay Purohit <Vi...@trianz.com>.

Thanks Krist !!

Can you please provide me the script which is required to start and stop the apache daemon. As you said

"I have a script that uses a servername as argument and that starts a httpd instance with the correct binary, serverroot and config. This allows me to start and stop each instance seperately".

\Vinay

>> Copying binaries doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.
>>
> Hi.
>
> You're right, on the face of it it does not seem to make a lot of sense.
> You should be able easily to run 2 instances of Apache from the same
> binaries.

Indeed, and that is what I do.

I have a default install of apache on my (solaris) system, which I compiled from source, and afterwards didn't touch. I have it installed in /opt/apache/httpd-<version>. That way I can even have different versions of apache on the same machine.

Myapache script in /etc/init.d just iterates over the directories in /opt/webservers and starts (or stops) them.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
krist@vanbesien.org
Bremgarten b. Bern, Switzerland
--
A: It reverses the normal flow of conversation.
Q: What's wrong with top-posting?

Re: [users@httpd] Diffeerent Apache Daemon on RHEL5.1

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Krist van Besien wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 4:45 PM, André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> wrote:
>>
>> Eric Covener wrote:
>
>>> Copying binaries doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.
>>>
>> Hi.
>>
>> You're right, on the face of it it does not seem to make a lot of sense.
>> You should be able easily to run 2 instances of Apache from the same
>> binaries.
>
> Indeed, and that is what I do.
>
> I have a default install of apache on my (solaris) system, which I
> compiled from source, and afterwards didn't touch. I have it installed
> in /opt/apache/httpd-<version>. That way I can even have different
> versions of apache on the same machine.
>
> Then I have different instances of webservers in
> /opt/webserver/<servername>. Each of these directories has a conf
> directory, a log directory and a htdocs directory. I also make a link
> here to /opt/apache/httpd-<version>/modules and
> /opt/apache/httpd-<version>/bin, so that I can use this dir as a
> serverroot. I have a script that uses a servername as argument and
> that starts a httpd instance with the correct binary, serverroot and
> config. This allows me to start and stop each instance seperately.
> Myapache script in /etc/init.d just iterates over the directories in
> /opt/webservers and starts (or stops) them.

Hi Krist.
You are right, it is more logical and more elegant than copying the
binaries etc.. but I think the choice also depends on circumstances.
If you have just a few servers of the same type to take care of, then
you can do a nice and elegant job, organise these things once and for
all, and you can remember what you did and how it works.
The circumstances may be different if you have a lot of servers of
different types and have to install a new one every week.
Then you consider a solution that is maybe not so elegant, but gets the
job done, with a minimum of changes to the standard package
installations and updates and startup scripts etc..
I don't know which approach Eric will prefer in the end, but now he has
some elements to decide, and I guess that is what he was looking for.

André

Re: [users@httpd] Diffeerent Apache Daemon on RHEL5.1

Posted by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 4:45 PM, André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> wrote:

> Eric Covener wrote:

>> Copying binaries doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.
>>
> Hi.
>
> You're right, on the face of it it does not seem to make a lot of sense.
> You should be able easily to run 2 instances of Apache from the same
> binaries.

Indeed, and that is what I do.

I have a default install of apache on my (solaris) system, which I
compiled from source, and afterwards didn't touch. I have it installed
in /opt/apache/httpd-<version>. That way I can even have different
versions of apache on the same machine.

Then I have different instances of webservers in
/opt/webserver/<servername>. Each of these directories has a conf
directory, a log directory and a htdocs directory. I also make a link
here to /opt/apache/httpd-<version>/modules and
/opt/apache/httpd-<version>/bin, so that I can use this dir as a
serverroot. I have a script that uses a servername as argument and
that starts a httpd instance with the correct binary, serverroot and
config. This allows me to start and stop each instance seperately.
Myapache script in /etc/init.d just iterates over the directories in
/opt/webservers and starts (or stops) them.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com
krist@vanbesien.org
Bremgarten b. Bern, Switzerland
--
A: It reverses the normal flow of conversation.
Q: What's wrong with top-posting?

Re: [users@httpd] Diffeerent Apache Daemon on RHEL5.1

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Eric Covener wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 8:46 AM, Wilda, Jet
> <Je...@chasepaymentech.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>        Check this http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/apache/users/351116?do=post_view_threaded out.  I think that is what you are asking.
>>

> Copying binaries doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

Hi.

You're right, on the face of it it does not seem to make a lot of sense.
    You should be able easily to run 2 instances of Apache from the same
binaries.

But I think that what Jet is trying to tell you, is that that if you do
that, you will have problems with the standard system Apache start and
stop scripts, like /etc/init.d/apache2.

These scripts use for example the command "killall", which will
indiscriminately kill all instances of the same binary program running
at that time if it has the same name (meaning your first and your second
apache, all at the same time), and you will not be able to select the
one or the other.
(Even if you copy the script /etc/init.d/apache2 to /etc/init.d/apache2b
and call them separately.  Each copy will kill all Apache's).

So, if you start 2 instances of Apache from the same binary, you will
need to modify a series of other scripts in order to avoid that.
Copying the binary and give it another name may be easier.

André

Re: [users@httpd] Diffeerent Apache Daemon on RHEL5.1

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Wilda, Jet" <Je...@ChasePaymentech.com>.