Posted to user@struts.apache.org by struts Dude <sc...@slingshot.co.nz> on 2004/08/25 14:50:23 UTC

Question about authentication

Hi
I am going to use custom tags for checking
access to Jsp, if no user/bean bean in session,
then direct to login page.

And I am also going to check admin bean again
in Action before invoking life cycle methods
on business beans.

Now am I over kill with authentication??

I mean, if all JSP pages that require user/admin
access has custom tag that check for access
at top, then i don't really need to check
for authentication in Action classess.

But it may also be good practice to double check
for whatever reason.

Just curious what's the usual practice u ppl do.

Thanks

Re: Question about authentication

Posted by struts Dude <sc...@slingshot.co.nz>.
Thanks to all who replied. I can't always count on u guys :D

If I really did use the stupid approach on the job,
I guess I am going to be fired on the spot. ;D

Regards

Re: Question about authentication

Posted by struts Dude <sc...@slingshot.co.nz>.
Posted by Emmanouil Batsis <Em...@eurodyn.com>.
I usually perform complex authentication/authorization related checks in
a servlet filter and attach the results in simpler forms (i.e. boolean
objects) in the request for actions to access. IMHO such checks should
not exist in the JSP pages, even if performed by taglibs; a JSP page
should not be accessed directly anyway but via an action that can
perform the checks (or read them from a context)

hth,

Manos

Posted by Bob Thomas <rt...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

I'm fairly new to Struts, so if I'm wrong here, I hope the more experienced will correct me.

If you extend the 'org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor' (or the 'org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesRequestProcessor' if you're using Tiles), then you can simply override the 'processPreprocess(...)' method and put your authentication there. That way, your authentication is all in one place, no need to put it in every JSP.

When using this methodology, you want to be sure that your JSPs are not accessed directly, but always accessed via the controller.

Hope this helps.