Posted to dev@syncope.apache.org by Ravindra Singareddy <si...@hotmail.com> on 2017/02/15 19:39:48 UTC

Observations on apache console and end user - user create form labels

Hello Syncope Team,

Here are couple of  Observations on apache console and end user - user create form labels

1) Need clarity difference between (username) and (userId).

  *          username is loginid for accessing system;
  *   userid  - the system only accepts valid email address. Is it a (username@domainname.com), where domainname.com where syncope system is deployed?

2)  If syncope provides email as an authentication mechanism, then if entered system needs to impose the unique constraint.
3) On password, label needs to give help button (or on hover) for specifying password policy like a minimum number of characters, number of special characters, numbers and so on.

Thanks

Ravi

Re: Observations on apache console and end user - user create form labels

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
[Please do not cross-post your e-mails; I am now responding only on user@]

On 15/02/2017 20:39, Ravindra Singareddy wrote:
> Hello Syncope Team,
>
> Here are couple of  Observations on apache console and end user - user create form labels
>
> 1) Need clarity difference between (username) and (userId).
>
>    *          username is loginid for accessing system;
>    *   userid  - the system only accepts valid email address. Is it a (username@domainname.com), where domainname.com where syncope system is deployed?

Hi Ravi,
userId (not userid, note the capital I) is part of test data that are
used for integration tests and that you can also find in standalone
distribution and with embedded mode. It's used for tests, not relevant
for production, e.g. when you deploy Syncope into an external Java EE
container from deb packages, GUI installer or Maven project.

> 2)  If syncope provides email as an authentication mechanism, then if entered system needs to impose the unique constraint.

Since SYNCOPE-1015, there is no "email as an authentication mechanism"
but rather the possibility to specify one or more schemas to be used for
authentication, besides username. It is obvious that such schemas must
have the unique constraint since for authentication there is the need to
uniquely identify the user.

> 3) On password, label needs to give help button (or on hover) for specifying password policy like a minimum number of characters, number of special characters, numbers and so on.

That would be nice, but I don't think it is completely possible ATM to
derive such label automatically from the applying password policies.

On the Enduser UI, however, for your specific deployment, you are
expected to customize the AngularJS application as much as you need,
hence you can exploit this aspect to change the password label to
reflect your actual password policies.

Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiricc�