Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by st <sa...@yahoo.com> on 2009/08/12 10:46:18 UTC

upgrading old svn version to newer one

Hi All,

we are currently running svn 1.4.2 in our office.
The repository is the BDB type.
Everything runs on Linux4.
i am thinking if it is better to upgrade our current version to latest one to benefit from newer version. Is this reason enough to upgrade?
Is there any limitation to have newer svn versions with Linux4?

RE: upgrading old svn version to newer one

Posted by Giulio Troccoli <gi...@uk.linedata.com>.

Linedata Services (UK) Ltd
Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4-12 Norton Folgate, London, E1 6DB
Registered in England and Wales No 3027851    VAT Reg No 778499447

> Just my personal two-cents worth, I would upgrade Linux, too.
> I've found, in my limited experience, that trying to run
> newer software on top of old often leads to problems.

And come to think of it you would probably need to upgrade Apache too, if you're using it

RE: upgrading old svn version to newer one

Posted by Rich Lichvar <rl...@sainc.com>.

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 6:46 AM, st<sa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> we are currently running svn 1.4.2 in our office.
> The repository is the BDB type.
> Everything runs on Linux4.
> i am thinking if it is better to upgrade our current version to latest one to benefit from newer version. Is this reason enough to upgrade?
> Is there any limitation to have newer svn versions with Linux4?

There is no such thing as "Linux4". I assume you mean RHEL 4, or
CentOS 4, or another packaged Linux distribution? In that case, you
should be able to shut down the web service or other access to your
repository, back it up, do a "svnadmin hotcopy" of the repository, and
use the new one as a plug-in replacement.

I like 1.6.x quite a lot. It's begun to try to address the security
failings of Subversion, namely the default storage of user passwords
in clear-text, by at least whinging about it before storing the
password.