Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Ben Griffiths <be...@mac.com> on 2004/07/28 16:14:41 UTC

Getting involved

Hi everyone,

I would like to roll up my sleeves and help with Jetspeed.

I'm an experienced Java/J2EE developer and architect, but a novice open
source contributor. Does anyone have a little time to guide me or at
least point me in the direction of some particular work that needs
doing?

Much obliged,

Ben

Re: Getting involved

Posted by "Scott T. Weaver" <sc...@binary-designs.net>.
You can use the maven plugin that is supplied with Jetspeed 2 to build
and deploy both a customized version of Jetspeed 2 and portlets.
Unfortunately, we don't a lot of doc on that right now.  I will try to
get a tutorial up on the wiki in the next few days.

I do all my development in Eclipse just as a java project in standard
maven project form
src/java
    /webapp

For debugging, I just use the remote debugging functionallity of Eclipse
start Tomcat with "jpda" option.

There is a proposal for a J2 Eclipse plugin.  We would welcome anyone
who has experience developing Eclipse plugins to start on this as most
of us currently don't have time :(

Luiz Esmiralha wrote:

> Scott T. Weaver wrote:
>
>> Hi Ben,
>>
>> It's great to have your interest in the Jetspeed project.  The best
>> place to look for open issues in the Jira issue tracker for Jetspeed
>> 2: http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10492.
>>
>> Here is were I would start.
>> 1.  checkout Jetspeed 2 from the CVS
>> 2.  build it.  Look at
>> http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/getting-started.html and
>> http://wiki.apache.org/portals/Jetspeed2 for help
>> 3.  run it.
>>
>> Then find a proposal and/or bug and jump on in.  Or you can also
>> suggest things that might be nice additions to the project.
>

> Hi Scott,
>
> I feel it would be interesting to have a few guidelines on how to
> setup a development environment for Jetspeed2 and the best way to
> start contributing. One doubt that I think you guys can answer is how
> to best use Eclipse to develop Jetspeed.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Luiz Barreto

*           Scott T. Weaver              *
*         <we...@apache.org>            *
*     <http://www.einnovation.com>       *
* -------------------------------------- *
*   Apache Jetspeed Enterprise Portal    *
*     Apache Pluto Portlet Container     *
* OpenEditPro, Website Content Mangement *
*     <http://www.openeditpro.com>       *

Re: Getting involved

Posted by Luiz Esmiralha <lb...@globo.com>.

Re: Getting involved

Posted by "Scott T. Weaver" <sc...@binary-designs.net>.
Hi Ben,

Ben Griffiths wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I would like to roll up my sleeves and help with Jetspeed.
>
> I'm an experienced Java/J2EE developer and architect, but a novice
> open source contributor. Does anyone have a little time to guide me or
> at least point me in the direction of some particular work that needs
> doing?
>
> Much obliged,
>
> Ben

*           Scott T. Weaver              *
*         <we...@apache.org>            *
*     <http://www.einnovation.com>       *