Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Peter Thygesen <pt...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/28 11:48:30 UTC

CAS Multiplier Question

Hi Uima Users,

Here my small setup:

Client  <--> ActiveMQ <--> UIMA-AS [ CasMultiplier -> AE -> AE -> AE ]

Is it possible to send a cas to UIMA-AS and add extra feature to the
received cas before sending the cas back to the client? Notice the
receiving engine is a CAS Multiplier. As I understand it, the received cas
is not send through the "flow" if the multipier creates a new CAS (which
mine does). How can I create a new cas in the multiplier and when flow have
completed, add features to the original cas before sending it back? Is this
possible? Or is the original cas sent back as soon as the new cas is
generated? (this is also a little unclear to me).

Otherwise I guess I have to send the original cas thru the flow, but since
the last AE persist the generated features/annotations I do not need (want)
them to be sent back to the client. And deleting all features except a few
I like to be sent back, seems a little awkward and costly.

Any suggestions?

brgds,

Peter

Re: CAS Multiplier Question

Posted by Burn Lewis <bu...@gmail.com>.
See section 7.3.2 in the Tutorial and Developers Guide.  There is an
"ActionAfterCasMultiplier" option in the standard FixedFlow controller that
you can override that specifies what happens to the parent CAS when all the
children have been produced.  The default is "dropIfNewCasProduced" but if
you change it to "continue" the parent CAS will follow its children through
the subsequent AEs.

~Burn