Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Gareth Coltman <ga...@majorband.co.uk> on 2001/06/11 14:48:52 UTC

Load-on-startup

Hello all.

I am using Turbine 2.1 with Tomcat 3.3. I have added the following to the web.xml file of my application

        <load-on-startup>-1</load-on-startup>

and indeed it does start turbine (according to the log).

However when I visit my app for the first time it takes just as long for it to load.

I thought that the majority of the delay would be turbine starting its services, but these definitely are loading upon server
startup as the log shows....

The page I am loading doesn't even have a screen class. Is it the loaders that are initializing?

Any ideas?

Gareth

Re: Load-on-startup

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org>.
On 6/11/01 8:59 AM, "Rafal Krzewski" <Ra...@e-point.pl> wrote:

> Gareth Coltman wrote:
>
>> The page I am loading doesn't even have a screen class. Is it the loaders
>> that are initializing?
>
> The major reason for delay of serving the first page is the
> initialization
> of secure random number generator by Tomcat. It needs it for creating
> the session Ids. I think that there is way to tell tomcat to get real
> and use normal randomness generator, but I don't know the details.

I usually use Catalina for development now and it is fast even
on my slow machine :-) The latest TDK has some fixes for speed
that make it quite pleasant to work with. Deployment is another
story but I regularly use Catalina for development and have no
problem.

--

jvz.

http://tambora.zenplex.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine
http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity
http://jakarta.apache.org/alexandria
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons

Re: Load-on-startup

Posted by Rafal Krzewski <Ra...@e-point.pl>.
Gareth Coltman wrote:

> The page I am loading doesn't even have a screen class. Is it the loaders that are initializing?

The major reason for delay of serving the first page is the
initialization
of secure random number generator by Tomcat. It needs it for creating
the session Ids. I think that there is way to tell tomcat to get real
and use normal randomness generator, but I don't know the details.

Rafal

--
Rafal Krzewski
Senior Internet Developer