Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Ajay <aj...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/29 21:12:28 UTC

Hbase vs Cassandra

Hi,

I need some info on Hbase vs Cassandra as a data store (in general plus
specific to time series data).

The comparison in the following helps:
1: features
2: deployment and monitoring
3: performance
4: anything else

Thanks
Ajay

Re: Hbase vs Cassandra

Posted by Serega Sheypak <se...@gmail.com>.
http://blog.parsely.com/post/1928/cass/
Here is cool blogpost. I've used hbase for years and once had a project
with Cassandra. Over complicated system with bugs declared as features.
Really there is no reason to use Cassandra.
Describe our task and I can tell you how solve it using hbase

Re: Hbase vs Cassandra

Posted by john guthrie <gr...@gmail.com>.
funny, i was just on a con-call with a hortonworks engineer. his take was
that if you need/want to be part of a wider hadoop ecosystem, HBase.
otherwise it was pretty much a wash

john

Re: Hbase vs Cassandra

Posted by Serega Sheypak <se...@gmail.com>.
You can use Cassandra not datastax distro. Apache Cassandra is opensourse

Re: Hbase vs Cassandra

Posted by jongchul seon <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hbase vs Cassandra

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
You are both making correct points, but FWIW HBase does not require use of Hadoop YARN or MapReduce. We do require HDFS of course. Some of the tools we ship are MapReduce applications but these are not core functions. We know of several large production use cases where the HBase(+HDFS) clusters are used as a data store backing online applications without colocated computation.

Re: Hbase vs Cassandra

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.
HBase is a distributed, consistent, sorted key value store. The "sorted" bit allows for range scans in addition to the point gets that all K/V stores support. Nothing more, nothing less.

It happens to store its data in HDFS by default, and we provide convenient input and output formats for map reduce.

Posted by Russell Jurney <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hbase can do range scans, and one can attack many problems with range
scans. Cassandra can't do range scans.

Hbase has a master. Cassandra does not.

Those are the two main differences.

--
Russell Jurney twitter.com/rjurney russell.jurney@gmail.com datasyndrome.com

Re: Hbase vs Cassandra

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hbase vs Cassandra

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Hbase vs Cassandra

Posted by Vladimir Rodionov <vl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hbase vs Cassandra

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Hbase vs Cassandra

Posted by Serega Sheypak <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hbase vs Cassandra

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ajay,

You won't be able to get unbiased opinion here easily.  You'll need to try
and see how each works for your use case.  We use HBase for the SPM backend
and it has worked well for us - it's stable, handles billions and billions
of rows (I lost track of the actual number many moons ago) and fast, if you
get your key design right.  I'll answer your Q about monitoring:

I'd say both are equally well "monitorable".  SPM <http://sematext.com/spm>
can monitor both HBase and Cassandra equally well.  Because Cassandra is a
bit simpler (vs. HBase having multiple processes one needs to run), it's a
bit simpler to add monitoring to Cassandra, but the difference is small.

SPM is at http://sematext.com/spm if you want to have a look.  We expose
our own HBase clusters in the live demo, so you can see what metrics HBase
exposes.  We don't run Cassandra, so we can't show its graphs, but you can
see some charts, metrics, and filters for Cassandra at
http://blog.sematext.com/2014/06/02/announcement-cassandra-performance-monitoring-in-spm/

I hope this helps.

Otis

Re: Hbase vs Cassandra

Posted by Jerry He <je...@gmail.com>.
Another point to add is the new "HBase read high-availability using
timeline-consistent region replicas" feature from HBase 1.0 onward,
which brings HBase closer to Cassandra in term of Read Availability during
node failures.  You have a choice for Read Availability now.

Re: Hbase vs Cassandra

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Well since you brought up coprocessors… lets talk about a lack of security and stability that’s been introduced by coprocessors. ;-)

I’m not saying that you don’t want server side extensibility, but you need to recognize the risks introduced by coprocessors.

Re: Hbase vs Cassandra

Posted by Vladimir Rodionov <vl...@gmail.com>.
Couple more + for HBase

Re: Hbase vs Cassandra

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.

Re: Hbase vs Cassandra

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
See http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#perf.network.call_me_maybe

Cheers

Re: Hbase vs Cassandra

Posted by anil gupta <an...@gmail.com>.
Hey Ajay,

Your topic of discussion of too broad.
There are tons of comparison on HBase vs Cassandra:
https://www.google.com/search?q=hbase+vs+cassandra&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Which one you should use, boils down to your use case? strong consistency?
range scans? need deeper integration with hadoop ecosystem?,etc
Please explain your use case and share your thoughts after doing some
preliminary reading.

Thanks,
Anil Gupta

--