Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by "Darrell A. Sullivan, II" <da...@flores-associates.com> on 2002/08/12 17:46:06 UTC

Soap Interoperability Tools

Hello Everyone,

I am wanting to find out if there are any kind of soap tools to make the
interoperability between Apache and Microsoft (especially Soap Toolkit 2)
more seamless.

I am working on a project that will require me to have VB6 clients as well
as Tomcat/Apache web servers running on Linux to Linux servers with Java
services.

So far from what I have seen there is quite a bit of difference between the
two systems.

First, the MS system requires a WSDL file which the Apache system does not
use. Instead it has a Deployment Descriptor that it gets its running
information from. I have seen a couple of tools for generating WSDL files
from Java classes and I have generated WSDL files with them, but I have so
far had no success using them to get a VB client talking to an Apache Soap
service.

Second, there is a problem with the typing between the two systems. I have
seen that you can specify mapping on the Deployment Descriptor for each
field, but my final project will have about 300 different function calls all
containing several different variables so hand coding this is really going
to be out of the question for a 90 calendar day project.

Are there any kind of tools that generate the WSDL files as well as the
appropriate mappings for the deployment descriptor from Java class
information? And if there are, what is the success rate?

I am currently working on my own data markup system instead of using soap
because I really need to get started coding the actual application rather
than spending all of this time trying to figure out how to get it working
correctly. I need to transfer simple data types back and forth and two
dimensional arrays of simple types. Nothing major like classes, beans, etc.

Thanks for any assistance,
Darrell

Re: Soap Interoperability Tools

Posted by James Black <jb...@ieee.org>.
"Darrell A. Sullivan, II" wrote:

> Are there any kind of tools that generate the WSDL files as well as the
> appropriate mappings for the deployment descriptor from Java class
> information? And if there are, what is the success rate?

  I have a C# client that communicates with my Axis web service. I pass arrays
of beans, as well as primitive types. I use java2wsdl to create the wsdl files
and then wsdl2java to create the stubs for the server-side (and for my
java-based clients).
  I use VS .NET for the C# clients.

  The WSDD file is only for axis to use, nothing else needs it, it is just info
for the server to know about the web service.

  You just need to limit your types to that which Axis knows about though, but
it seems that just about every primitive datatype in .NET should work.

> I am currently working on my own data markup system instead of using soap
> because I really need to get started coding the actual application rather
> than spending all of this time trying to figure out how to get it working
> correctly. I need to transfer simple data types back and forth and two
> dimensional arrays of simple types. Nothing major like classes, beans, etc.

  You will actually have fewer headaches if you learn to use some standardized
approach, else interoperability issues you will need to deal with yourself, and
then you get into lots of maintenance issues. It is a real pain to deal with.

Re: Soap Interoperability Tools

Posted by James Black <jb...@ieee.org>.