Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> on 2010/11/09 19:47:40 UTC

Possible regression in Assembly Plugin 2.2

Hi

I created an issue in JIRA [1] for what I think is a regression in
version 2.2 of the Assembly Plugin. When digging deeper in JIRA I found
more related, but not identical, issues [2].

What I would like to know is whether the change was a deliberate or not.
If it was deliberate then we need to update the docs as per
MASSEMBLY-516 [3].

[1] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MASSEMBLY-527

[2] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MASSEMBLY-519
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MASSEMBLY-520

[3] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MASSEMBLY-516

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: Possible regression in Assembly Plugin 2.2

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the clarification John.

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
The documentation should reference <descriptorRefs/> configuration, not
<descriptors/>. I've been watching the JIRAs, but haven' had time to
mount a new offensive to get another release out.

The short story is there was a lot of potential for bad things to happen
in the complex code used to load descriptors. Paired with the fact that
<descriptors/> is meant to load descriptors from the project source tree
somewhere, it made sense to go back to loading <descriptors/> only in
this way, and use <descriptorRefs/> for the rest.

Unfortunately, I didn't see that the shared-descriptor example uses
<descriptors/>. I'll try to roll a site update quickly to take care of
the incorrect documentation.

On 11/9/10 1:47 PM, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> Hi
>
> I created an issue in JIRA [1] for what I think is a regression in
> version 2.2 of the Assembly Plugin. When digging deeper in JIRA I found
> more related, but not identical, issues [2].
>
> What I would like to know is whether the change was a deliberate or not.
> If it was deliberate then we need to update the docs as per
> MASSEMBLY-516 [3].
>

> [1] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MASSEMBLY-527
>
> [2] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MASSEMBLY-519
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MASSEMBLY-520