Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk> on 2003/04/19 17:31:35 UTC

Small Sites (was Re: benchmarking Cocoon?)

On 19 Apr 2003 at 10:42, Diana Shannon wrote:

> Although memory is cheaper, I think the cost of Cocoon/Java hosting,
> with higher RAM requirements, remains a limiting factor in adoption
> for small sites/limited budgets. In spite of the elegance of what
> Stephano recently demo'd for a small site on this list, for my
> low-budget clients, I'll probably stick with the current Forrest
> approach to generate static pages, with all dynamic capabilities
> implemented in php/perl/python (perhaps even generated by a modified
> Forrest). Clients simply don't understand -- no matter how clearly you
> explain the benefits -- why they should have to pay more than
> $10/month for hosting. Perhaps dynamic sites created with small
> budgets (by people like me who don't want to manage a server just to
> host client sites affordably) aren't Cocoon's niche.

Diana, I can very much relate to what you say about smaller clients. It was that
sort of work that led to my initial interest in Cocoon.

Can you tell me what you get from Forrest that the CLI doesn't do? Is it especially
the stylesheets and the navigation methods? I've never really been able to work
exactly what Forrest (and Forrestbot) are, in distinction from the CLI, and would
love someone to tell me. Looking at the Forrest web site has never really
answered for me the question of 'what does Forrest (and Forrestbot) add to the
Cocoon CLI?'.

Regards, Upayavira