Posted to alexandria-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org> on 2002/11/25 14:53:26 UTC

Re: The Rules of Open-Source Programming

Leo Sutic wrote:

> 1) Is a dialog between the board a Peter being held, with the
>     aim of resolving the issues that caused his suspension?

Yes.

> 2) Progress? This has dragged on for a full week already.
>     I consider a simple yes/no response enough.

The dialog has not broken off.  I would characterize the current
discussions as still being in exploratory mode - trying to identify
where the real issues are.

  - - - - -

My reason for this new thread was to let people know that Peter is not
the only one who needs to change for all this to work.  I chose to focus
on the notion of a reference container as it was (1) timely, (2)
relevant to the community, (3) not technical, (4) and one where there is
consensus.

Let me paraphrase how this discussion went:

   LeoS: I propose that Phoenix no longer be considered the reference
  	container.

   PeterD: Phoenix has never been a "reference container" and I have
	specifically gone out of my way to discourage such terminology

   LeoS: Umm, the website says (first paragraph)...

   PeterD: That's a holdover that came about because....

I can only imagine how this would have played out if it were between
Pier and Stefano in the early days of Cocoon.  Both would have been
calling each other idiots (and worse), and, more importantly, calling
theselves idiots (and worse).  Others would be agast at such behavior
(and actually were), but the end result was healthier to the community.

The current climate in Avalon appears to be one in which every mistep is
taken as an indication of a character flaw.

My perception is that the above dicussion should have involved Peter
saying at least "oops" or perhaps a more formal "I stand corrected", but
I suspect that had he done so, people would have piled on to rub his
nose in it.  And not in the friendly way that Pier and Stefano did.

- Sam Ruby

RE: [VOTE] Costin Manolache for committer

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Karma granted.

- Sam Ruby