Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by renaud <re...@oslutions.com> on 2006/11/01 16:18:58 UTC

Re: [VOTE-summary] Renaud Richardet as Apache Lenya committer

Hi all,

This is great, thanks a bunch! I am very honored.

Admin stuff:
- I faxed a CLA 2 years ago, while working on FOP, is it still valid?
- I would like renaud (or renaud.richardet) as login.

Thanks again,
Renaud

Re: 1.2 runaway CPU usage . . .

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.unizh.ch>.
Michael Wechner wrote:
> Douglas.Hurbon@mail.cuny.edu wrote:
>

>> Hello all,  (I hope the dev list is the right place for this . . . )
>>
>> Maybe someone's seen this before: [we're running Lenya 1.2.4, cocoon
>> 2.1.7, redhat 9, jdk 1.5  with Tomcat 5.5 restarted every night]
>>
>> Once in a while (every month or two) CPU usage goes nuts, java heap
>> size is overrun, and Lenya dies.  When writing to the live cache just
>> before it dies, lenya throws:
>>
>> 40849730 2006-11-06 15:25:12,870 [TP-Processor610] ERROR
>> core.xslt-processor.fatalError():81  - Error in TraxTransformer:
>> javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: java.lang.RuntimeException:
>> java.lang.RuntimeException: java.util.ConcurrentModificationException:
>> File
>> /usr/local/lenya/lenya/pubs/academic_affairs/work/cache/live/oaa.html
>> is already being written by another thread
>>
>> A few times a second, then CPU usage goes bonkers, then the following:
>>
>> 40912774 2006-11-06 15:26:15,914 [TP-Processor646] ERROR
>> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/cns].[Cocoon].invoke():253
>>  - Servlet.service() for servlet Cocoon threw exception
>> 40914037 2006-11-06 15:26:17,177 [TP-Processor690] ERROR
>> sitemap.release():188  - Unabled to release processing component.
>> org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Unable to remove component from
>> automatic release: no environment available.
>>
>> At that point Lenya stops responding, and we have to forcibly kill
>> tomcat (kill -9), and restart it.
>>
>> It hums along fine for a month or so, sometimes two, then does it
>> again.  Usually it's smooth as glass, with very lo CPU usage.
>>
>> Anyone seen this before?  Currently hunting anything I can f ind on
>> Cocoon's  <map:transform type="write-source">, which is writing to the
>> cache, as per lenya's default publication set up.  Think I'm looking
>> in the right place?
>

> I am not sure. It might also be one of the "Cocoon cache stores" having
> a problem
> resp. getting into strange state, but this is just a wild guess.

The default configuration of the ehcache should be changed anyway see:

http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/How%20to%20tune%20Lenya%201.4%20for%20Production%20Use

I am not sure whether this is related to your problem but you should
monitor the cocoon cache file usually located at
TOMCAT_HOME/work/Catalina/localhost/lenya/cocoon-files/cache-dir.
If you use the default setting and never delete this file it might
become quite big.

Jann

Re: 1.2 runaway CPU usage . . .

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Douglas.Hurbon@mail.cuny.edu wrote:

> Hello all,  (I hope the dev list is the right place for this . . . )
>
> Maybe someone's seen this before: [we're running Lenya 1.2.4, cocoon
> 2.1.7, redhat 9, jdk 1.5  with Tomcat 5.5 restarted every night]
>
> Once in a while (every month or two) CPU usage goes nuts, java heap
> size is overrun, and Lenya dies.  When writing to the live cache just
> before it dies, lenya throws:
>
> 40849730 2006-11-06 15:25:12,870 [TP-Processor610] ERROR
> core.xslt-processor.fatalError():81  - Error in TraxTransformer:
> javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: java.lang.RuntimeException:
> java.lang.RuntimeException: java.util.ConcurrentModificationException:
> File
> /usr/local/lenya/lenya/pubs/academic_affairs/work/cache/live/oaa.html
> is already being written by another thread
>
> A few times a second, then CPU usage goes bonkers, then the following:
>
> 40912774 2006-11-06 15:26:15,914 [TP-Processor646] ERROR
> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/cns].[Cocoon].invoke():253
>  - Servlet.service() for servlet Cocoon threw exception
> 40914037 2006-11-06 15:26:17,177 [TP-Processor690] ERROR
> sitemap.release():188  - Unabled to release processing component.
> org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Unable to remove component from
> automatic release: no environment available.
>
> At that point Lenya stops responding, and we have to forcibly kill
> tomcat (kill -9), and restart it.
>
> It hums along fine for a month or so, sometimes two, then does it
> again.  Usually it's smooth as glass, with very lo CPU usage.
>
> Anyone seen this before?  Currently hunting anything I can f ind on
> Cocoon's  <map:transform type="write-source">, which is writing to the
> cache, as per lenya's default publication set up.  Think I'm looking
> in the right place?

I am not sure. It might also be one of the "Cocoon cache stores" having
a problem
resp. getting into strange state, but this is just a wild guess.

Have you tried to comment the write-source transformer and see if your
problem still occurs?

HTH

Michi

--
Michael Wechner
+41 44 272 91 61

1.2 runaway CPU usage . . .

Posted by Do...@mail.cuny.edu.

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
renaud wrote:

> Admin stuff:
> - I faxed a CLA 2 years ago, while working on FOP, is it still valid?
> - I would like renaud (or renaud.richardet) as login.

your CLA is on file. i'll take care of it.

Re: [VOTE-summary] Renaud Richardet as Apache Lenya committer

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
Sorry, still no internet at home and on side at a customer who has shut
down all ports.

On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 10:18 -0500, renaud wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is great, thanks a bunch! I am very honored.
>
> Admin stuff:
> - I faxed a CLA 2 years ago, while working on FOP, is it still valid?

I am not sure, better you fax it again.

> - I would like renaud (or renaud.richardet) as login.

salu2

> Thanks again,
> Renaud
>

> Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> > 8 binding votes: +1
> > 1 non-binding votes: +1
> >
> > => the vote has passed.
> >
> > welcome, Renaud, as an apache lenya committer. please fax your signed
> > CLA
> > as per the instructions at
> >
> > http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas
> >
> > and please let us know what your desired login is (with some
> > alternatives, in case your first choice is taken)
> >
> > as soon as your signed CLA is processed, you will get your account
> > information.
> >
> > salu2

thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"