Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Abid Hussain <ab...@dilax.com> on 2010/06/10 13:47:56 UTC

Question about context.xml

Hello,

I'm sure this question has been posted in the past already, but when
searching for "Tomcat 6 context.xml" (or similar) I didn't find anything
which described my question.

My question is about the several possibility to declare <context>
elements for configuring JNDI resources in Tomcat 6 configuration.
In Tomcat 6 documentation
(http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html#conte
xt.xml%20configuration) there are described to ways to configure JNDI
resources for a webapp:
* in $CATALINA_BASE$/conf/server.xml
* in META-INF/context.xml for each webapp

AFAIK there is an additional possibilities two configure JNDI resources:
* in $CATALINA_BASE$/conf/Catalina/localhost/<name-of-web-app>.xml
Is that correct?

And why is there a context.xml in $CATALINA_BASE/conf and what is it
for? Would be happy if someone could help me out with this.

Best regards,

Abid

RE: Question about context.xml

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Abid Hussain [mailto:abid.hussain@dilax.com]
> Subject: Question about context.xml
>
> My question is about the several possibility to declare <context>
> elements for configuring JNDI resources in Tomcat 6 configuration.

Read the <Context> (not <context> - case matters) doc first, then search:

> And why is there a context.xml in $CATALINA_BASE/conf and what
> is it for?

Read the above doc reference.

 - Chuck

Re: Question about context.xml

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 10/06/2010 12:47, Abid Hussain wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm sure this question has been posted in the past already, but when
> searching for "Tomcat 6 context.xml" (or similar) I didn't find anything
> which described my question.
>
> My question is about the several possibility to declare <context>
> elements for configuring JNDI resources in Tomcat 6 configuration.
> In Tomcat 6 documentation
> (http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html#conte
> xt.xml%20configuration) there are described to ways to configure JNDI
> resources for a webapp:
> * in $CATALINA_BASE$/conf/server.xml
> * in META-INF/context.xml for each webapp
>
> AFAIK there is an additional possibilities two configure JNDI resources:
> * in $CATALINA_BASE$/conf/Catalina/localhost/<name-of-web-app>.xml
> Is that correct?

Yes.

> And why is there a context.xml in $CATALINA_BASE/conf and what is it
> for? Would be happy if someone could help me out with this.

It's the default context definition for the server.