Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com> on 2013/06/01 00:48:57 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Swiz Framework Donation to Apache Flex

Hi,

seems like all has been said yet. I don't think we should stop the vote
since as others commented two -1 votes was left in the cold with any
explanation or commenting one that was explicitly exposed in the starting
vote mail.

Seems that the only one problem that people said is that Swiz could have
more exposure than other frameworks, but IMHO this *possibility* is not as
important for me than the main benefit: Be able to bring 2.0.0 beta branch
(that right now is lost) to Apache to start discussing AOP here. If we
don't do that, swiz AOP brach will be lost, since Chris Scott tell us in
swiz miling list that he will donate it if there's interest.

Regarding Om comments, I'll email Chris to ask him for an email here
expressing his desire to donate Swiz source code and wiki.

About releases, I think that taking into account that this will be a
"utilities" project it's sure that his release will be separated from
flex-sdk. Right now it's in 1.4.0. We already commited changes and we have
1.4.3 release. It seems it will be in that state for the time to get 2.0.0
beta AOP working, that right now requires to finish donation phase 1 to
start talking about that.

So people, we are right now at 72h of starting of the the vote thread, so
what do we do? close votation and count? want to declare vote null and make
another new vote thread? For me this vote thread can be close. So let us
know following steps.

Thanks

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: [DISCUSS] Swiz Framework Donation to Apache Flex

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
It certainly could, in my opinion. I think these frameworks enhance
Flex and therefor enhance the Apache Flex project. I think there is
synergy to be had, both for 'users' and contributors.

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [DISCUSS] Swiz Framework Donation to Apache Flex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 6/1/13 7:54 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> What steps are required from the author to make the donation?
>Having them mailing the mailing list would probably be enough. A vote
>would also need to be taken but I don't see any major reason why we would
>allow one framework and not the other.
A software grant may be required.  It depends on who owns it.  FlexUnit
came in via software grant, IIRC.

-Alex

Re: [DISCUSS] Swiz Framework Donation to Apache Flex

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> What steps are required from the author to make the donation?
Having them mailing the mailing list would probably be enough. A vote would also need to be taken but I don't see any major reason why we would allow one framework and not the other.

> Parsley3/Spicelib3 are release under Apache License 2.0.
Do we know if it been under Apache 2.0 from day 1? And if all contributions made to it have been under that license? Does it use any 3rd party software/libraries and if so what are they licences are they under? I don't think there any issues here but just checking.

I thing at a minimum we would also have someone who was willing to check all license headers on files (ie run rat), make sure it builds correctly in an apache environment and perhaps someone working with INFRA to transfer the existing JIRA issues.

IMO It would also be good if someone (committer or otherwise) was willing to make an initial release, do some maintenance on it, answer user questions on the list etc etc

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Swiz Framework Donation to Apache Flex

Posted by dude <du...@atheist.com>.
What steps are required from the author to make the donation? Since he
has moved on to other things, I'd like to bother him as less as possible.

Parsley3/Spicelib3 are release under Apache License 2.0. The framework
consists of several libraries which can be found here
https://github.com/spicefactory . And there is a JIRA:
http://opensource.powerflasher.com/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Right! why not? :)

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: [DISCUSS] Swiz Framework Donation to Apache Flex

Posted by dude <du...@atheist.com>.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [DISCUSS] Swiz Framework Donation to Apache Flex

Posted by Igor Costa <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sumudu Chinthaka <cs...@gmail.com>.
really looking forward about this, i have being missing swiz for mobile app
development lot so once the donation took place hope there will be new
development towards swiz mobile application support

Thanks
Sumudu

Posted by João Fernandes <jo...@gmail.com>.
Sebastian, you should open a new thread :)

--

João Fernandes

RE: [DISCUSS] Swiz Framework Donation to Apache Flex

Posted by "Michael A. Labriola" <la...@digitalprimates.net>.
So, the argument again becomes one tool for all jobs...

Perhaps there are a multitude of MVC approaches because they each have their specialty and one should choose the solution based on the problem, not by precognition.

Mike

Posted by Carlos Velasco <ca...@gmail.com>.
I deeply disagree to that statement. There is not an unique valid way to
approach a development and having so many frameworks sums to make better
the FLEX ecosystem.

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Interesting..., to me, some are light weight, some full featured, some
complex, some simple, I guess the choice of a framework very depends on the
project needs (and probably at time, the knowledge of the team on the
framework).

-Fred

Posted by dude <du...@atheist.com>.
> Apache Flex needs an MVC framework out of the box
IMHO no, that is not needed, because Flex can be used to create an
MVC/MVVC/MVP/you-name-it architecture out of the box without any framework.

And wouldn't that be like integrating Spring into Java?

> Having that would bring more stability to the our Flex market.
How?

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

Sad to see you go :-( Can you maybe tell us why you are leaving?

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [DISCUSS] Swiz Framework Donation to Apache Flex

Posted by Marcelo Fabricio de Mello <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 6/3/13 6:49 PM, "Jeffry Houser" <je...@dot-com-it.com> wrote:

>On 6/3/2013 7:44 PM, Lee Burrows wrote:
>>
>> "while they could continue to exist in GitHub or Google Code, it isn't
>> clear that anyone is really around to handle questions or bugs" - That
>> would still be true if the projects were part of Apache Flex, and
>> Apache is not an historical archive.
>>
>> "in a few cases, the code owners have indicated that they no longer
>> wish to support a separate community around those bodies of code" - If
>> nobody is willing to take ownership of a project (or at least put it
>> on a free github account), how useful a project is it?
>
>  I have had similar thoughts; but Lee stated them much more elegantly
>than I.  ( Thanks Lee).
Yup, and your reasoning is well-considered.  I'm not sure there is a
'right' answer, but IMO, we're all here to change the expected 'evolution'
of Adobe's move away from in-house development of Flex.  But we do have to
keep an eye out for spreading ourselves too thin, showing favoritism for
one framework vs another, etc.

>  It is the primary reason I have been voting '0'.  I, personally don't
>see the mutual benefit to either project to get donated; but do not see
>any benefit in trying to block the donation from others who seem to care
>about it a lot more than I.
>
>  When I last commented on Swiz; one response was
>
>"there are a few contributors that never got their improvements / bug
>fixes merged to the project so anyone using swiz is missing those."
>
>http://markmail.org/search/+list:org.apache.incubator.flex-dev#query:list%
>3Aorg.apache.incubator.flex-dev%20from%3A%22Jeffry%20Houser%22+page:1+mid:
>wsd6vm6tjp6mba6z+state:results
>
>  I have no idea how moving the project to Apache Flex will address that
>issue.
Because we have a process, any Apache Flex committer can make those
changes to the code base and create a release candidate.  And if anyone is
that motivated, I will take the time to review the candidate, and I hope
the others voting for donation will as well.  And that's a better chance
than I think the situation would be otherwise.

-Alex

Re: [DISCUSS] Swiz Framework Donation to Apache Flex

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.
On 6/3/2013 7:44 PM, Lee Burrows wrote:

> "while they could continue to exist in GitHub or Google Code, it isn't
> clear that anyone is really around to handle questions or bugs" - That
> would still be true if the projects were part of Apache Flex, and
> Apache is not an historical archive.
>
> "in a few cases, the code owners have indicated that they no longer
> wish to support a separate community around those bodies of code" - If
> nobody is willing to take ownership of a project (or at least put it
> on a free github account), how useful a project is it?

  I have had similar thoughts; but Lee stated them much more elegantly
than I.  ( Thanks Lee).

  It is the primary reason I have been voting '0'.  I, personally don't
see the mutual benefit to either project to get donated; but do not see
any benefit in trying to block the donation from others who seem to care
about it a lot more than I.

  When I last commented on Swiz; one response was

"there are a few contributors that never got their improvements / bug
fixes merged to the project so anyone using swiz is missing those."

http://markmail.org/search/+list:org.apache.incubator.flex-dev#query:list%3Aorg.apache.incubator.flex-dev%20from%3A%22Jeffry%20Houser%22+page:1+mid:wsd6vm6tjp6mba6z+state:results

  I have no idea how moving the project to Apache Flex will address that
issue.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur
http://www.jeffryhouser.com
203-379-0773

Re: [DISCUSS] Swiz Framework Donation to Apache Flex

Posted by Lee Burrows <su...@leeburrows.com>.
With the greatest of respect, I have to disagree - i dont think it is
reasonable to accept donations for the reasons you suggest.

"while they could continue to exist in GitHub or Google Code, it isn't
clear that anyone is really around to handle questions or bugs" - That
would still be true if the projects were part of Apache Flex, and Apache
is not an historical archive.

"in a few cases, the code owners have indicated that they no longer wish
to support a separate community around those bodies of code" - If nobody
is willing to take ownership of a project (or at least put it on a free
github account), how useful a project is it?

"we know we have active folks here who have used or developed these
libraries and can contribute if needed" - They would would still help
out if project were hosted elsewhere, wouldn't they?

Your argument seems to be 'if we dont save them, they will die'. I think
we need to let evolution run its course - if a project is
useful/important enough to the community, it will survive without Apache
Flex's help.

"having one-stop shopping for Flex SDK and related libraries seems like
a good thing to me" - Its only one-stop shopping it you use Swiz. I'm
all for publicising the fact that there are great libraries for
extending Flex, but wouldn't a page on the wiki be more appropriate?
That way, everyone gets a mention.

Anyway, this is a democracy, so i'll accept the majority decision - but
i really dont like it.

--
Lee Burrows
ActionScripter

Re: [DISCUSS] Swiz Framework Donation to Apache Flex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Lee Burrows <su...@leeburrows.com>.

--
Lee Burrows
ActionScripter

Re: [DISCUSS] Swiz Framework Donation to Apache Flex

Posted by Maxime Cowez <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sebastian Mohr <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Thanks Carlos.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: [DISCUSS] Swiz Framework Donation to Apache Flex

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

>>> http://www.directwriter.es

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [DISCUSS] Swiz Framework Donation to Apache Flex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
You hid your vote well... you did +1 and -1 in two short sentences.
Re-reading helped a bit, but - at least for non-native speakers - it
was very ambivalent.

I think most of your concerns have been addressed in one way or
another, or will (must) be addressed during the coming process of
donation.

Just to clarify any misunderstanding: a -1 vote is only a veto when it
concerns a commit and is accompanied by a technical reason for the
veto. For all other types of voting, -1 is just a vote against the
proposal and will get equal weighing in the final tally.

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [DISCUSS] Swiz Framework Donation to Apache Flex

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Om,

I can make the blog post, but we should wait until Chris Scott write the
email with his intention of donation. Then we can make the official blog
post to make the announcement to the world. And we will put special wording
in make clear that this donation should not be seen as giving any special
endorsement to swiz in apache flex regarding other projects of the same
flavor.

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: [DISCUSS] Swiz Framework Donation to Apache Flex

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Sorry Om,

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: [DISCUSS] Swiz Framework Donation to Apache Flex

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Ok Erik,

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: [DISCUSS] Swiz Framework Donation to Apache Flex

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
The vote was open for more than 72 hours. I'm closing it.

Here are results:

+1 (binding)

Erik de Bruin
Greg Reddin
Justin Mclean
Fréderic Thomas

-1 (binding)

Igor Costa (no explanation)
Jeff Tapper (he stated "unless there are assurances that this will not be
part of the
main branch, but instead live in a separate repo", that was clearly stated
in the main vote thread)

0 (binding)

Jeffry Houser

+1 (non-binding)

Carlos Rovira
Margo Powell
Ben Dalton
Jose Barragan
Mark Kessler
Joao Fernandes
Nick Collins
Cyrill Zadra
Arnoud Bos

-1 (non binding)

Carlo Velasco (he doesn't see as a polite movement)

As Alex stated, we can declare the vote null and start another, as well I
emailed Chris Scott and he will email this list exposing his intention of
donation.

Thanks to all for participating

Best,

Carlos

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: [DISCUSS] Swiz Framework Donation to Apache Flex

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi,

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

RE: [DISCUSS] Swiz Framework Donation to Apache Flex

Posted by Jeff Tapper <je...@spoon.as>.
I have to respectfully disagree.  My -1 vote was conditional on knowing
exactly how the contribution would be handled (as Om and others have pointed
out).  I cannot in good faith vote in favor of this without the solutions to
the issues laid out being clear in the vote thread.

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología