Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org> on 2009/10/22 05:47:54 UTC

masscheck on x86_64 SMP problems?

All:

Is anybody successfully running masscheck on an x86_64 SMP/multicore with
-j>1?

I'm trying to do that and running into problems. It eventually hangs with
all threads idle, and some of the interprocess communications has gone to
the log. I haven't looked into it very deeply yet or fiddled with many
command-line options; I was just wondering if I'm pushing the envelope
with that combination or whether others are doing this successfully.

I've got it running with no -j right now, and I'm still seeing some IPC in
the log but it hasn't hung yet...

   Judicial Activism (n): interpreting the Constitution to grant the
   government powers that are popularly felt to be "needed" but that
   are not explicitly provided for therein (common definition);
   interpreting the Constitution as it is written (Brady definition)
  12 days since President Obama won the Nobel "Not George W. Bush" prize

Re: masscheck on x86_64 SMP problems?

Posted by Warren Togami <wt...@redhat.com>.
On 10/21/2009 11:47 PM, John Hardin wrote:
> All:
>
> Is anybody successfully running masscheck on an x86_64 SMP/multicore
> with -j>1?
>
> I'm trying to do that and running into problems. It eventually hangs
> with all threads idle, and some of the interprocess communications has
> gone to the log. I haven't looked into it very deeply yet or fiddled
> with many command-line options; I was just wondering if I'm pushing the
> envelope with that combination or whether others are doing this
> successfully.
>
> I've got it running with no -j right now, and I'm still seeing some IPC
> in the log but it hasn't hung yet...

I'm successfully running it with -j 4 and -j 8 on my 4-core x86_64
server running RHEL5.4 and 2-core x86_64 laptop with Fedora 12.

Warren Togami
wtogami@redhat.com

Re: masscheck on x86_64 SMP problems?

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Sat, 24 Oct 2009, Larry Nedry wrote:

> I posted about the same issue back on April 3, 2007.
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/users@spamassassin.apache.org/msg41812.html>
>
> This problem hasn't popped up lately though.  I had assumed that it had
> been found and fixed.

It appears to be a different bug. It does not hang unless --loghits is
specified, and I'm getting "wide character" warnings with single-process,
and when it does hang a similar message is the last thing logged. I'm
working on troubleshooting that aspect now. It may be something as simple
as needing to UTF-8 encode the hits string.

> On 10/21/09 at 8:47 PM -0700 John Hardin wrote:
>> All:
>>
>> Is anybody successfully running masscheck on an x86_64 SMP/multicore with
>> -j>1?
>>
>> I'm trying to do that and running into problems. It eventually hangs with
>> all threads idle, and some of the interprocess communications has gone to
>> the log. I haven't looked into it very deeply yet or fiddled with many
>> command-line options; I was just wondering if I'm pushing the envelope
>> with that combination or whether others are doing this successfully.

   End users want eye candy and the "ooo's and aaaahhh's" experience
   when reading mail. To them email isn't a tool, but an entertainment
   form.                                                 -- Steve Lake
  15 days since President Obama won the Nobel "Not George W. Bush" prize

Re: masscheck on x86_64 SMP problems?

Posted by Larry Nedry <sp...@bluestreak.net>.
I posted about the same issue back on April 3, 2007.
<http://www.mail-archive.com/users@spamassassin.apache.org/msg41812.html>

This problem hasn't popped up lately though.  I had assumed that it had
been found and fixed.

Nedry