Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com> on 2009/03/07 00:26:35 UTC

Server Name Indication (SNI)

I was contemplating changing my repository to use named-based virtual
hosting over a secure connection. This requires some reconfiguration of
Apache and installation of mod_gnutls. Before I do that, I want to
determine if Subversion clients can use SNI. (Particularly the Windows
command line client and Tortoise.)

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Name_Indication>

Tutorial for mod_gnutls:

<http://www.g-loaded.eu/2007/08/10/ssl-enabled-name-based-apache-virtual-hosts-with-mod_gnutls/>

Caveat for those wanting to host regular web content this way: IE on XP
doesn't support SNI. Most other browsers do, and IE7 on Vista does. You can
test your browser here:

<https://sni.velox.ch/>

RE: Server Name Indication (SNI)

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
--On Friday, March 13, 2009 12:05 PM +0100 Bert Huijben
<rh...@sharpsvn.net> wrote:

> All the Windows binaries on http://subversion.tigris.org/getting.html are
> just as official as any other binary distribution. (The Subversion project
> itself doesn't provide binaries). The Collabnet, 'Tigris' and Slik
> Subversion binaries are all created by volunteers outside the Subversion
> project.. (But all three of them have at least one Subversion full
> committer behind them).

Thanks for the clarification. I've been using the "tigris" binaries. Since
I now know that Slik has the desired capability, I'll probably use that.

> For the TortoiseSVN part you should ask on the tortoisesvn mailinglist:
> users{_AT_}tortoisesvn.tigris.org.

I seem to have delivery problems to that list (I've been subscribed for
awhile and get messages fine), so I just reposted my question there via
Gmane.

> Note: The 'Tigris' binaries are not really from Tigris but from a set of
> volunteers, see the bottom of the getting.html page..

Noted, thanks. (BTW, I haven't seen any Windows binary releases announced
since 1.5.3 in October. The newer packages appear, but with no
announcement.)

RE: Server Name Indication (SNI)

Posted by Bert Huijben <rh...@sharpsvn.net>.

	Bert