Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Kenny MacLeod <ke...@yahoo.com> on 2001/04/20 16:57:44 UTC

Forcing explicit document validation

Folks,

It seems to me that there's a hole in the JAXP/W3C APIs involving explicit
document validation.

The XML Schema spec encourages, but does not enforce, externally specified
schemas for document validation. In other words, the XML document itself
does not specify the schema, but the application explicitly tags the XML
with the schema before valdiation.

However, I cannot see any place in the API to allow this. Only schemas
referenced by the XML document are supported.

I think the org.w3c.dom.Document class should have a validate( uri ) method,
where you can explicitly validate your Document against a "grammer"
specification, such as a DTD or schema.

Am I missing something here?

cheers

kenny