Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> on 2012/07/09 09:24:28 UTC

Second birthday concall and release schedule

Hi all,

I would like to make an update about three topics:

1/ Second birthday concall
Once again sorry for the delay for this concall.
I propose this second birthday concall on Monday, July, 16th, at 18:00 GMT.
I will create the wiki page for attendees and provide the connection
information.

2/ Karaf 2.3.0 release
I reviewed the Karaf 2.3.0 opened issues. I gonna work on these issues
today. However, we don't have dependencies to pending SNAPSHOTs or so,
so I think we can release a first 2.3.0 version. I propose to cut off
the release on Wednesday.
WDYT ?
@Jamie: is it OK for you ? I can take this release if you prefer.

3/ Karaf 3.0.0RC1
Currently, we have mainly two blocking issue for this first RC release:
- we have to update to Aries 1.0.0 (instead of SNAPSHOT as we have
currently)
- the source distribution is missing
I'm working on the source distribution and I raised the Jira about the
Aries modules update.
I'm going to gear up the Aries update in order to cut off a first RC
release (as it is currently). It would be great to be able to cut off
the release end of this week.

Regards
JB
--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Second birthday concall and release schedule

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.
Always happy to do a release :)

Marking my calendar for the community call :)

Cheers,
Jamie

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi all,

I updated the wiki to schedule the second birthday call on Tuesday 31st
of July.

Regards
JB

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.
Yes, let's wait for JB's healthy return before we hold the call.

Hope you feel better soon JB!

Cheers,
Jamie

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hey JB,

Posted by Brian Topping <to...@codehaus.org>.

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
Hey JB,

a) I really hope you soon get done with this and that you get better soon,
b) I would prefer to delay the call for another week, somehow feels
wrong doing this without our chair :-)

Kind regards,
Andreas

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi guys,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
FYI,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
 From my point of view it is mainly the SNAPSHOTS we use. Mostly
everything else can be delayed. I am simply working on features till we
are ready.

Christian

Am 13.07.2012 13:02, schrieb Andreas Pieber:
> OK, issues are going up and down for the 3.x release since weeks now;
> the interesting question: what is really missing (from a feature point
> of view) for 3.0? Couldn't we delay them for 3.1/4.0? I still think
> that 3.0 is such a big change that we should rather bring it out
> slowly instead of pushing an even larger feature amount into it; don't
> you think?
>
> Kind regards,
> Andreas

>>> +1 here too, just to make clear, we're talking about the first release
>>> candidate and not a "real" RC1 release, are we?
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Andreas
>> If we say a release candidate should be functionally complete and only may
>> need some bugfixes then I agree we should not yet do a RC1.
>> What we could do though is have a milestone release like M1. With the aries
>> release in that could be a nice point in time to do so.
>> I just looked into the Karaf 3 deps. The only remaining SNAPSHOT dep beside
>> Aries is pax url maven. I am quite sure we can release that in time.
>>
>> Then after the M1 release we should discuss what needs to go into Karaf 3 to
>> be ready for a RC1.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Christian
>>
>> --
>> Christian Schneider
>> http://www.liquid-reality.de
>>
>> Open Source Architect

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: Second birthday concall and release schedule

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Andreas,

in terms of features, we are very close (I have two that I'm working on:
around sub-shell completion and prompt, and around instance:clone).

I'm also updating Aries dependencies to 1.0.0.

We have to release a Pax Url 1.4.3 (as we use SNAPSHOT currently), I
will review the Pax Url Jira and cut off this release.

Even if it's a RC, we can't use SNAPSHOT release in dependencies.

I'm working on it this afternoon (and over the week end).

Regards
JB

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
Hey,

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> wrote:
> 1/ Second birthday concall
> Once again sorry for the delay for this concall.
> I propose this second birthday concall on Monday, July, 16th, at 18:00 GMT.
> I will create the wiki page for attendees and provide the connection
> information.

+1

> 2/ Karaf 2.3.0 release
> I reviewed the Karaf 2.3.0 opened issues. I gonna work on these issues
> today. However, we don't have dependencies to pending SNAPSHOTs or so, so I
> think we can release a first 2.3.0 version. I propose to cut off the release
> on Wednesday.
> WDYT ?
> @Jamie: is it OK for you ? I can take this release if you prefer.

+1 from my side