Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2009/11/13 15:16:39 UTC

Preparing for Graduation?

Gang,

I'm curious to know if we should try to graduate Pivot out of the Incubator.

The main issue last time was lack of diversity, and I think Sandro and Noel
have picked up a lot of speed, and we can signs from a larger user communtiy
slowly building.

Legal issues were resolved long time ago.

Releases have been made.

Activity is stronger than ever.

I feel confident that a proposal to the Board in December meeting, after
passing a Incubator sign-off, will be received positively.

What do you all think?

-- Niclas

Re: Preparing for Graduation?

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Greg,
good luck.

If you need someone in Europe, tell me :-) ...

Byeeee

Re: Preparing for Graduation?

Posted by Christopher Brind <ch...@googlemail.com>.
+1  ;-)

Cool - good luck in your new role, Greg.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@me.com>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 5:43 AM, Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh and one other, potentially very important point: Greg no longer works for
> VMware, so our diversity of committers has implicitly gone up :)

I didn't know if that was public knowledge or not yet, hence I left it
out... But yes, that fact plus that he continues as feverishly as ever
proves more strongly that it isn't a VMware effort.

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 12:08 AM, Sandro Martini
<sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Niclas,
>
>> What do you all think?
> yes, maybe it's the time ... but will you continue to support us, also after ?

As Martijn wrote, I normally lurk on dev@ and private@ for a while, a
bit longer on the latter, to ensure that there is no 'problems
brewing' that the ASF should be aware of. In this case, I may still
have a personal interest in putting the things to work, but right now
it looks bleak as I am taking up employment in 'traditional' dev shop
(not determined exactly which one yet), where this might be too
bleeding-edge.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: Preparing for Graduation?

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.
Oh and one other, potentially very important point: Greg no longer works for
VMware, so our diversity of committers has implicitly gone up :)

-T

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
>I would replace the o.a.pivot.collections.* with java.util.* collections.

Ha ha.  :-)

>Seriously: I agree with Niclas' evaluation and support graduation.

Agreed. Last time, our graduation story was a bit tenuous. Now it is much stronger.

Also, most of the issues for Pivot 1.4 have been resolved, so we could easily time the release to coincide with graduation, should it happen.

Re: Preparing for Graduation?

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> What do you all think?

I would replace the o.a.pivot.collections.* with java.util.* collections.

*ducks*

Seriously: I agree with Niclas' evaluation and support graduation.

Martijn

Re: Preparing for Graduation?

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
I'm going to stick around as a lurker for a while post graduation and
help out wherever I can. When everything is running smoothly, I'll
probably drop my subscription to cut down on the number of incoming
messages in my inbox.

Note that Apache Members are allowed to subscribe to any
mailinglist—including private@ lists—even when they are not part of
the respective PMC, as part of their oversight duty. It doesn't give
them a binding vote, but they can listen to what happens inside the
community.

Martijn

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Sandro Martini
<sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Niclas,
>
>> What do you all think?
> yes, maybe it's the time ... but will you continue to support us, also after ?
>
> Bye,
> Sandro

Apache Wicket 1.4 increases type safety for web applications
Get it now: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.4.0

Re: Preparing for Graduation?

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Niclas,