Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com> on 2008/10/08 19:04:47 UTC

devMode

I fully expect that there's a simple answer to this one but I can't find it in
the wiki or the mailing list archives.

devMode is set to true in my struts.xml, which loads as per the logging, but my
webapp is not reloading the i18n bundle. Actually it's not giving me enhanced
exceptions either, I just checked.

I get the log statements:

INFO 17:58:36 XmlConfigurationProvider.register(): Parsing configuration file
[struts-default.xml] (com.opensymphony.xwork2.config.providers)
INFO 17:58:36 XmlConfigurationProvider.register(): Parsing configuration file
[struts-plugin.xml] (com.opensymphony.xwork2.config.providers)
INFO 17:58:36 XmlConfigurationProvider.register(): Parsing configuration file
[struts.xml] (com.opensymphony.xwork2.config.providers)
WARNING 2008-10-08 17:58:36 Settings.getLocale(): Settings: Could not parse
struts.locale setting, substituting default VM locale (org.apache.struts2.config)
INFO 17:58:36 DefaultConfiguration.setProperty(): Overriding property
struts.configuration.xml.reload - old value: false new value: true
(com.opensymphony.xwork2.config.impl)
INFO 17:58:36 BeanSelectionProvider.register(): Loading global messages from
org.permacode.patternrepo.package.properties (org.apache.struts2.config)

So struts is taking note of struts.configuration.xml.reload but not
struts.devMode. Anyone know what the problem is likely to be?

Re: devMode dead

Posted by Mead Lai <la...@gmail.com>.
havan't try it before!

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 2:38 PM, Zoran Avtarovski
<zo...@sparecreative.com>wrote:

> Hi Adam,
>
> For what little it¹s worth we just finished up an intensive I18n project
> using dev mode and it worked as expected. We use netbeans and tomcat but
> the
> altered properties file was copied across to the WEB-INF/classes folder by
> NB.
>  I don¹t know if that had any impact. Also, we¹re using 2.0.11.2.
> Z.

> wrong >>>
> with
> JSPs

> > Hi Lukasz,
> >
> > I checked that.
> >
> > I'm not using maven in this instance, I'm using Eclipse with
> WebToolsProject
> > which has a plugin for tomcat. WTP puts together a classpath for tomcat
> based
> > on
> > the build/classes directory, and that is where Eclipse copies the
> > package.properties file to every time there is a change.
> >
> > But maybe that is the reason - it's certainly not underneath WEB-INF on
> the
> > file
> > system.
> >

> > Regards
> > Adam

BestRegards,
Mead
http://yayisoft.com

Charles M. Schulz  - "All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and
then doesn't hurt."

Re: devMode dead

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
Wendy Smoak on 11/10/08 22:24, wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 2:15 PM, Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> a really basic question..what does/is/will do devMode supposed to do?
>> I couldnt find any doc on this?
>
> http://struts.apache.org/2.0.11.2/docs/devmode.html

And the page before that on debugging also looks really useful - well not for
reloading i18n resources, but just for debugging.

I think my issue is that struts just doesn't see the package.properties on the
classpath, because of its location where it is put Eclipse WTP Tomcat plugin
(i.e. still in /build/classes/) - so the subject line is wrong, devMode isn't
dead, it's just a little blind.

Next time I do some more JSPs and writing labels, I'll look into it further.

Re: devMode dead

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

--
Wendy

RE: devMode dead

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
a really basic question..what does/is/will do devMode supposed to do?
I couldnt find any doc on this?

Thanks,
Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note

Re: devMode dead

Posted by Zoran Avtarovski <zo...@sparecreative.com>.
Hi Adam,

Re: devMode dead

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.

Re: devMode dead

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@googlemail.com>.

http://www.lenart.org.pl/

devMode dead

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
Is anybody else having trouble with devMode not working?

Certainly seems like I'm the only one and I can't find anything wrong with my
setup. It's really slowing me down doing the i18n labels on my JSPs without
struts doing a refresh on the package.properties file.

Looks like it's time to crack open the debugger on the struts/xwork src.

Adam

Re: devMode

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
Anyone, what are the requirements for configuring my i18n resource bundle if I
want devMode to reload it every request?

I currently have all my i18n strings in package.properties in my main package -
and I configured it in struts.xml too like so:

   <constant name="struts.custom.i18n.resources"
     value="org.permacode.patternrepo.package" />

Re: devMode

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.

Re: devMode

Posted by Alberto Flores <af...@umd.edu>.
A few questions:

Adam Hardy wrote:
> I fully expect that there's a simple answer to this one but I can't find
> it in the wiki or the mailing list archives.
>
> devMode is set to true in my struts.xml, which loads as per the logging,
> but my webapp is not reloading the i18n bundle. Actually it's not giving
> me enhanced exceptions either, I just checked.
>
> I get the log statements:
>
> INFO 17:58:36 XmlConfigurationProvider.register(): Parsing configuration
> file [struts-default.xml] (com.opensymphony.xwork2.config.providers)
> INFO 17:58:36 XmlConfigurationProvider.register(): Parsing configuration
> file [struts-plugin.xml] (com.opensymphony.xwork2.config.providers)
> INFO 17:58:36 XmlConfigurationProvider.register(): Parsing configuration
> file [struts.xml] (com.opensymphony.xwork2.config.providers)
> WARNING 2008-10-08 17:58:36 Settings.getLocale(): Settings: Could not
> parse struts.locale setting, substituting default VM locale
> (org.apache.struts2.config)
> INFO 17:58:36 DefaultConfiguration.setProperty(): Overriding property
> struts.configuration.xml.reload - old value: false new value: true
> (com.opensymphony.xwork2.config.impl)
> INFO 17:58:36 BeanSelectionProvider.register(): Loading global messages
> from org.permacode.patternrepo.package.properties
> (org.apache.struts2.config)
>

> So struts is taking note of struts.configuration.xml.reload but not
> struts.devMode. Anyone know what the problem is likely to be?

Alberto
http://www.linkedin.com/in/aflores