Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Marcel Reutegger <ma...@gmx.net> on 2006/05/02 17:43:54 UTC

Re: newbie question

dan z wrote:
> Just started looking at jackrabbit and have a question regarding the JDK
> version requirement: the document says JDK1.4 is mandatory. But my web
> app has to run on a WebSphere server that supports only J2ee1.3 and
> won't be upgraded in short period.
>
> Could anyone tell me what part of jackrabbit requires JDK1.4 and / or is
> there any workaround?

there are various areas in jackrabbit that use 1.4 features:
- parsing of QName and Path uses regular expressions
- repository impl uses NIO
- javax.security is used for authentication
- javax.xml.transform for xml processing
- some collection classes that are only available in 1.4

I don't think there is a workaround to get jackrabbit working with 1.3.
some of the missing features might be available as separate jar files
from sun, but getting the NIO feature into a 1.3 jdk seems hopeless.

regards
  marcel

Re: newbie question

Posted by danz z <da...@hotmail.com>.
Thank you Marcel.

In this case, I have another question: looking at the deployment "how-to"
pages (model 2), I need to register a Server Resource in
"GlobalNamingResources" and then bind it to a JNDI name.

How can I do this in Geronimo? There doesn't seem to be a counterpart of
"GlobalNamingResources" in Geronimo.

Thanks,
D.Z.

>From: Marcel Reutegger <ma...@gmx.net>
>To: users@jackrabbit.apache.org
>Subject: Re: newbie question
>Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 17:43:54 +0200
>
>dan z wrote:
>>Just started looking at jackrabbit and have a question regarding the JDK
>>version requirement: the document says JDK1.4 is mandatory. But my web app
>>has to run on a WebSphere server that supports only J2ee1.3 and won't be
>>upgraded in short period.
>>
>>Could anyone tell me what part of jackrabbit requires JDK1.4 and / or is
>>there any workaround?
>
>there are various areas in jackrabbit that use 1.4 features:
>- parsing of QName and Path uses regular expressions
>- repository impl uses NIO
>- javax.security is used for authentication
>- javax.xml.transform for xml processing
>- some collection classes that are only available in 1.4
>
>I don't think there is a workaround to get jackrabbit working with 1.3.
>some of the missing features might be available as separate jar files from
>sun, but getting the NIO feature into a 1.3 jdk seems hopeless.
>
>regards
>  marcel

Don't just Search. Find! http://search.sympatico.msn.ca/default.aspx The new
MSN Search! Check it out!