Posted to dev@druid.apache.org by David Lim <da...@apache.org> on 2019/08/27 05:46:59 UTC

Discuss Java 11 support

Hey Druids,

Recently I've been seeing more activity around Java 11 support, both from
the side of user inquiries and from contributors submitting patches to
resolve compatibility issues. I thought it would be worthwhile to have a
thread to identify:

- the level of testing that has been done so far by community members
(including of various extensions and ingestion methods); related, it would
be helpful to know if anyone has been running Druid in production on Java 11
- if there are any known remaining issues that need to be addressed
- in which release does the community feel comfortable declaring official
Java 11 support

I ran through the quickstart and now everything is starting up, but I ran
into some issues with JAXB even after [
https://github.com/apache/incubator-druid/pull/7604] went in (see stack
trace at end - Google search seems to indicate we also need to include
org.glassfish.jaxb:jaxb-runtime).

Big thanks to @xvrl for spearheading much of the work on Java 11 support,
most of which is linked from the issue:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-druid/issues/5589. Xavier, do you know
of any significant areas of the codebase that need to be looked at before
we can declare Java 11 support? What about issues/restrictions around
Hadoop integration?

---
2019-08-27T05:05:54,776 ERROR [main]
com.sun.jersey.server.impl.wadl.WadlApplicationContextImpl - Implementation
of JAXB-API has not been found on module path or classpath.
javax.xml.bind.JAXBException: Implementation of JAXB-API has not been found
on module path or classpath.
at javax.xml.bind.ContextFinder.newInstance(ContextFinder.java:177)
~[jaxb-api-2.3.1.jar:2.3.0]
at javax.xml.bind.ContextFinder.find(ContextFinder.java:364)
~[jaxb-api-2.3.1.jar:2.3.0]
at javax.xml.bind.JAXBContext.newInstance(JAXBContext.java:508)
~[jaxb-api-2.3.1.jar:2.3.0]
at javax.xml.bind.JAXBContext.newInstance(JAXBContext.java:465)
~[jaxb-api-2.3.1.jar:2.3.0]
at javax.xml.bind.JAXBContext.newInstance(JAXBContext.java:366)
~[jaxb-api-2.3.1.jar:2.3.0]
at
com.sun.jersey.server.impl.wadl.WadlApplicationContextImpl.<init>(WadlApplicationContextImpl.java:107)
[jersey-server-1.19.3.jar:1.19.3]
com.sun.xml.internal.bind.v2.ContextFactory
at java.base/
jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.loadClass(BuiltinClassLoader.java:583)
~[?:?]
at
java.base/jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoaders.java:178)
~[?:?]
at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:521) ~[?:?]
at
javax.xml.bind.ServiceLoaderUtil.nullSafeLoadClass(ServiceLoaderUtil.java:122)
~[jaxb-api-2.3.1.jar:2.3.0]
at
javax.xml.bind.ServiceLoaderUtil.safeLoadClass(ServiceLoaderUtil.java:155)
~[jaxb-api-2.3.1.jar:2.3.0]
at javax.xml.bind.ContextFinder.newInstance(ContextFinder.java:174)
~[jaxb-api-2.3.1.jar:2.3.0]

Re: Discuss Java 11 support

Posted by Clint Wylie <cj...@gmail.com>.
I tried testing hadoop with java 11 using the quickstart tutorial, but ran
into the following issue on peon before it even got to hadoop

2019-08-28T22:14:56,959 ERROR [task-runner-0-priority-0]
org.apache.druid.indexing.common.task.HadoopIndexTask - Got invocation
target exception in run(), cause:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/script/ScriptEngineManager
at
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.script.ScriptManager.<init>(ScriptManager.java:49)
~[log4j-core-2.5.jar:2.5]
at
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.AbstractConfiguration.initialize(AbstractConfiguration.java:179)
~[log4j-core-2.5.jar:2.5]
at
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.AbstractConfiguration.start(AbstractConfiguration.java:209)
~[log4j-core-2.5.jar:2.5]
at
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.LoggerContext.setConfiguration(LoggerContext.java:492)
~[log4j-core-2.5.jar:2.5]
at
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.LoggerContext.reconfigure(LoggerContext.java:562)
~[log4j-core-2.5.jar:2.5]
at
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.LoggerContext.reconfigure(LoggerContext.java:578)
~[log4j-core-2.5.jar:2.5]
at
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.LoggerContext.start(LoggerContext.java:214)
~[log4j-core-2.5.jar:2.5]
at
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.impl.Log4jContextFactory.getContext(Log4jContextFactory.java:145)
~[log4j-core-2.5.jar:2.5]
at
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.impl.Log4jContextFactory.getContext(Log4jContextFactory.java:41)
~[log4j-core-2.5.jar:2.5]
at org.apache.logging.log4j.LogManager.getContext(LogManager.java:182)
~[log4j-api-2.5.jar:2.5]
at
org.apache.logging.log4j.spi.AbstractLoggerAdapter.getContext(AbstractLoggerAdapter.java:103)
~[log4j-api-2.5.jar:2.5]
at
org.apache.logging.slf4j.Log4jLoggerFactory.getContext(Log4jLoggerFactory.java:43)
~[log4j-slf4j-impl-2.5.jar:2.5]
at
org.apache.logging.log4j.spi.AbstractLoggerAdapter.getLogger(AbstractLoggerAdapter.java:42)
~[log4j-api-2.5.jar:2.5]
at
org.apache.logging.slf4j.Log4jLoggerFactory.getLogger(Log4jLoggerFactory.java:29)
~[log4j-slf4j-impl-2.5.jar:2.5]
at org.slf4j.LoggerFactory.getLogger(LoggerFactory.java:358)
~[slf4j-api-1.7.25.jar:1.7.25]
at org.slf4j.LoggerFactory.getLogger(LoggerFactory.java:383)
~[slf4j-api-1.7.25.jar:1.7.25]
at org.apache.druid.java.util.common.logger.Logger.<init>(Logger.java:38)
[druid-core-0.16.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar:0.16.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT]
at
org.apache.druid.guice.PropertiesModule.<clinit>(PropertiesModule.java:42)
~[druid-processing-0.16.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar:0.16.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT]
at
org.apache.druid.guice.GuiceInjectors.makeDefaultStartupModules(GuiceInjectors.java:39)
~[druid-processing-0.16.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar:0.16.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT]
at
org.apache.druid.guice.GuiceInjectors.makeStartupInjector(GuiceInjectors.java:56)
~[druid-processing-0.16.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar:0.16.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT]
at
org.apache.druid.indexer.HadoopDruidIndexerConfig.<clinit>(HadoopDruidIndexerConfig.java:103)
~[druid-indexing-hadoop-0.16.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar:0.16.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT]
at
org.apache.druid.indexing.common.task.HadoopIndexTask$HadoopDetermineConfigInnerProcessingRunner.runTask(HadoopIndexTask.java:644)
~[druid-indexing-service-0.16.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar:0.16.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT]
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
Method) ~[?:?]
at
java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
~[?:?]
at
java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
~[?:?]
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:566) ~[?:?]
at
org.apache.druid.indexing.common.task.HadoopIndexTask.runInternal(HadoopIndexTask.java:353)
~[druid-indexing-service-0.16.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar:0.16.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT]
at
org.apache.druid.indexing.common.task.HadoopIndexTask.runTask(HadoopIndexTask.java:287)
[druid-indexing-service-0.16.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar:0.16.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT]
at
org.apache.druid.indexing.common.task.AbstractBatchIndexTask.run(AbstractBatchIndexTask.java:137)
[druid-indexing-service-0.16.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar:0.16.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT]
at
org.apache.druid.indexing.overlord.SingleTaskBackgroundRunner$SingleTaskBackgroundRunnerCallable.call(SingleTaskBackgroundRunner.java:419)
[druid-indexing-service-0.16.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar:0.16.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT]
at
org.apache.druid.indexing.overlord.SingleTaskBackgroundRunner$SingleTaskBackgroundRunnerCallable.call(SingleTaskBackgroundRunner.java:391)
[druid-indexing-service-0.16.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar:0.16.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT]
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264) [?:?]
at
java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128)
[?:?]
at
java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628)
[?:?]
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834) [?:?]
javax.script.ScriptEngineManager
at java.base/java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:471)
~[?:?]
at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:588) ~[?:?]
at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:521) ~[?:?]
... 35 more

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53714010/log4j2-slf4j-and-java-11 suggests
adding '--add-modules java.scripting', but it did not appear to help
anything when added to java opts of peons. It is not related to the java
opts having any sort of failure to accept these module arguments, i was
able to successfully pass the option to make jvm gc metrics work, and
attempting to run the task with the new 'indexer' service type where the
tasks are threads instead of forked processes was not successful with this
option set either. I haven't dug in any further yet, but I wouldn't
personally consider this a deal-breaker in terms of thinking of java 9+
support as experimental, rather a known issue.

Re: Discuss Java 11 support

Posted by Xavier Léauté <xa...@confluent.io>.

Re: Discuss Java 11 support

Posted by Clint Wylie <cw...@apache.org>.
> I ran through the quickstart and now everything is starting up, but I ran
> into some issues with JAXB even after [
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-druid/pull/7604] went in (see stack
> trace at end - Google search seems to indicate we also need to include
> org.glassfish.jaxb:jaxb-runtime).

Confirmed that adding jaxb-runtime fixes this issue, raised
https://github.com/apache/incubator-druid/pull/8409. I don't see any
unexpected exceptions at least with quick-start style native indexing after
the changes in that PR.

> I just tried to run Druid 0.15.1 against Java11, but got an exception:
> https://gist.github.com/Fokko/72b57edd47e2d2da08426bf6caca6d55

This should be fixed in latest master, was fixed very recently.

Re: Discuss Java 11 support

Posted by "Driesprong, Fokko" <fo...@driesprong.frl>.

Re: Discuss Java 11 support

Posted by Clint Wylie <cl...@imply.io>.