Posted to users@buildr.apache.org by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/23 17:59:44 UTC

Controlling verbosity

This was brought up in another email but I figured it deserved a separate
thread.

Right now "buildr --trace" turns the verbose fire-hose to full blast.   This
means we run "javac -verbose", "ant --trace", "apt -verbose", ... which is
often overwhelming and of little use when you're simply debugging
Rake-related dependency issues.

One solution would be to selectively turn on the trace switch based on the
task so I was thinking of adding a BUILDR_TRACE environment variable that
would contain a list of comma-separated keywords to control tracing
behavior, e.g., export BUILDR_TRACE="javac,ant,apt".

Any better ideas?

alex

Re: Controlling verbosity

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com>.
I think we inherit --trace from rake. Might be worth looking if they have
something like that already in place ?

Re: Controlling verbosity

Posted by Rhett Sutphin <rh...@detailedbalance.net>.
Hi Alex,

On Mar 23, 2010, at 5:59 PM, Alex Boisvert wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 3:25 PM, Rhett Sutphin <rhett@detailedbalance.net
> >wrote:
>
>> I like the idea, but I think the environment variable is a bit
>> clumsy and
>> hard to discover.  What about a parameter for --trace?
>>
>> buildr --trace       # traces everything
>> buildr --trace=tasks # traces just build-related bits -- task
>> executions,
>> things logged with `trace` in buildr & extensions
>> buildr --trace=ant,javac # ups the verbosity for just ant and javac
>>

> Good idea;  I'll see what I can do.
>
> My only objection here is that I think --trace to trace everything
> is a bad
> default.   I think most people want to trace task execution by
> default and
> then selectively opt-in for more verbosity.    I would go for --
> trace=all to
> enable everything.

That is almost what I wrote, but I was overcome by a wave of desire
for backwards compatibility.  I'm over it now -- I think what you're
describing is a better plan.

> My other assumption is that we would go and update the documentation
> clearly identify what are the possible trace values, both as
> reference for
> all values and in each relevant sections for task-specific values.
> (I'm
> volunteering for this too).

Don't forget the output from `buildr --help`.

Rhett

Re: Controlling verbosity

Posted by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 3:25 PM, Rhett Sutphin <rh...@detailedbalance.net>wrote:

> I like the idea, but I think the environment variable is a bit clumsy and
> hard to discover.  What about a parameter for --trace?
>
> buildr --trace       # traces everything
> buildr --trace=tasks # traces just build-related bits -- task executions,
> things logged with `trace` in buildr & extensions
> buildr --trace=ant,javac # ups the verbosity for just ant and javac

Good idea;  I'll see what I can do.

My only objection here is that I think --trace to trace everything is a bad
default.   I think most people want to trace task execution by default and
then selectively opt-in for more verbosity.    I would go for --trace=all to
enable everything.

My other assumption is that we would go and update the documentation to

Re: Controlling verbosity

Posted by Rhett Sutphin <rh...@detailedbalance.net>.

Re: Controlling verbosity

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com>.

Re: changelog encoding

Posted by Rhett Sutphin <rh...@detailedbalance.net>.
Hi,

On Mar 24, 2010, at 10:45 AM, Antoine Toulme wrote:

> It looks ok to me here:
> http://github.com/apache/buildr/blob/trunk/CHANGELOG
>
> I also see the character correctly in Textmate.
>
> Where and how do you see this problem ?

I see it on http://buildr.apache.org/CHANGELOG .

It looks like the file is UTF-8 encoded, but that server is ending it
without the charset parameter on content-type:

$ curl -I http://buildr.apache.org/CHANGELOG
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 15:48:12 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.12 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.12 OpenSSL/0.9.7d mod_wsgi/
3.2 Python/2.6.5rc2
Last-Modified: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 22:54:40 GMT
ETag: "2180f9b-db49-47a3f7584ac00"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

The default charset for HTTP is ISO-8859-1 (RFC2068, section 3.7.1),
so a browser is going to misinterpret any high-bit / multibyte
characters.  I presume this would have to be fixed by configuring
apache.  I don't know if you can do charset overrides using .htaccess
(or if apache.org even allows that).

Rhett

Re: changelog encoding

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com>.