Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by neal <ne...@yahoo.com> on 2002/08/29 05:27:37 UTC

Tomcat JDNI Conn Pooling

I was reading about setting up conn pooling for tomcat using MySQL and step
1 of the instructions says:

Install mm.mysql driver, DBCP, collections and pool jarfiles into
$CATALINA_HOME/common/lib. You will experience problems if you place these
jarfiles in your webapp's WEB-INF/lib directory, in your
$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext or anywhere else, so dont.

Umm ... what collections and pool jarfiles?????

Thanks.
Neal

Re: Tomcat JDNI Conn Pooling

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
That depends on what version fo Tomcat you run.  If you run Tomcat-4.1.x,
you will find all the commons libraries referenced below in
$TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib:

commons-collections.jar
commons-dbcp.jar
commons-pool.jar

The reason your JDBC driver needs to be here alongside the jars above is
that both the server and your app need access to the resouces.  jars in
server/lib can't see webapps and jars in shared/lib (plain "lib" on
Tomcat-4.0.x) or WEB-INF/lb cannot see the server jars.  common/lib is the
only place that makes the resources available to both entities.

Jake