Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org> on 2004/01/21 18:37:03 UTC

Re: svn commit: r8421 - in branches/1.0-stabilization: . build/ac-macros packages/rpm/mandrake-9.0 packages/rpm/mandrake-9.1 packages/rpm/mandrake-9.2 packages/rpm/redhat-7.x packages/rpm/redhat-8+ subversion/bindings/swig subversion/bindings/swig/perl

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 10:11:11AM -0600, epg@tigris.org wrote:
> Author: epg
> Date: Wed Jan 21 10:11:10 2004
> New Revision: 8421
>
> Modified:
>    branches/1.0-stabilization/Makefile.in
>    branches/1.0-stabilization/STATUS
>    branches/1.0-stabilization/build/ac-macros/swig.m4
>    branches/1.0-stabilization/packages/rpm/mandrake-9.0/Makefile
>    branches/1.0-stabilization/packages/rpm/mandrake-9.1/Makefile
>    branches/1.0-stabilization/packages/rpm/mandrake-9.2/Makefile
>    branches/1.0-stabilization/packages/rpm/redhat-7.x/subversion.spec
>    branches/1.0-stabilization/packages/rpm/redhat-8+/subversion.spec
>    branches/1.0-stabilization/subversion/bindings/swig/INSTALL
>    branches/1.0-stabilization/subversion/bindings/swig/README
>    branches/1.0-stabilization/subversion/bindings/swig/perl/Makefile.PL
>    branches/1.0-stabilization/subversion/bindings/swig/swigutil_pl.h
> Log:
> Merge r8368, r8417, and r8418 and remove them from STATUS:
>
> Support SWIG 1.3.20 and newer and require at least 1.3.19.
>
> Approved by: breser, epg

Umm this effects the build system, doesn't that require 3 +1s?

--
Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
kfogel@collab.net writes:
> However, let's not take process to the point of counterproductivity
> here.  We know for next time.  In the meantime, I'll review the
> relevant portions and retroactively +1 (assuming there are no
> problems).  Then we'd be only one vote short; I'll bet I can persuade
> someone here to look with me, though :-).
>
> Of the three revisions merged together
>
>    r8368 - doesn't affect the core build system
>    r8417 - affects the core build system
>    r8418 - doesn't affect the build system
>
> So there's really only one to worry about.  I'll/we'll take a look.

Just to follow up:

I saw the later mails & commits about this (how r8418 had a problem,
therefore all of r8421 was reverted).  So am not reviewing now.
Bindings are nice, just have other fish to fry (in areas where I have
more expertise anyway).

For the future: a change that affects the build system affects core
Subversion, so needs full voting.

Posted by Tobias Ringstrom <to...@ringstrom.mine.nu>.
Ben Reser wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 12:57:08AM +0000, Philip Martin wrote:
>>I have tried this and it works for me.  I was reluctant to commit it
>>yesterday because I don't know much about the Swig stuff, however I
>>know see that it is essentially a Python version of r8417.  That means
>>I am now happy to approve it for the trunk, and you may commit it.
>
> I'm not sure I can.  I only have partial commit access.  If that's by
> configuration or only policy I can't say.  But unless I hear otherwise,
> I'm going to assume it's by both and I'll let someone else commit such
> changes.

It's by policy only, and if a full committer approves it, as Philip did,
you are free to commit, but you must mention in the log message that the
commit was approved by him.

/Tobias

Ben Reser <be...@reser.org> writes:
> > know see that it is essentially a Python version of r8417.  That means
> > I am now happy to approve it for the trunk, and you may commit it.
>
> I'm not sure I can.  I only have partial commit access.  If that's by
> configuration or only policy I can't say.  But unless I hear otherwise,
> I'm going to assume it's by both and I'll let someone else commit such
> changes.

It's only by policy.  We can trust all our committers :-).

It's an accepted practice for a partial committer to commit outside
their usual area, if a full committer says "+1" on the patch.  In
fact, it's preferred, so that the author of the change is the real
author and the log message doesn't have to say "Patch by J. Random."

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 12:57:08AM +0000, Philip Martin wrote:
> I assume we are talking about the patch in attachment 288 in issue
> 1690
>
> http://subversion.tigris.org/nonav/issues/showattachment.cgi/288/svn-swigpy-103020.patch

Affirmative.

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 03:50:02PM -0500, Eric Gillespie wrote:
> kfogel@collab.net writes:
>
> > However, let's not take process to the point of
> > counterproductivity here.  We know for next time.  In the
> > meantime, I'll review the relevant portions and retroactively
> > +1 (assuming there are no problems).  Then we'd be only one
> > vote short; I'll bet I can persuade someone here to look with
> > me, though :-).
>
> There were problems with it, so i reverted it.  The changes have
> been improved on trunk, and will need to be nominated and
> reviewed again.

Not all of them have been committed.  So I haven't added it back to the
STATUS file.  epg went out.  Phillip didn't want to commit the fix.  And
I can't.  So it fell through the cracks.

The fix is on the issue.

Posted by Eric Gillespie <ep...@pretzelnet.org>.

Eric Gillespie <*> epg@pretzelnet.org

Eric Gillespie <ep...@pretzelnet.org> writes:
> > Umm this effects the build system, doesn't that require 3 +1s?
>
> It affects the build system, but it is still a bindings change.
> Do the lowered requirements not apply in that case?  If so
> someone can revert the change, but note that that puts us right
> back in the position of potentially publishing bindings that
> aren't the best we have.

If it touches the build system, it needs to be in the full (core)
voting system, three +1's and all.  The build system affects
everything.

However, let's not take process to the point of counterproductivity
here.  We know for next time.  In the meantime, I'll review the
relevant portions and retroactively +1 (assuming there are no
problems).  Then we'd be only one vote short; I'll bet I can persuade
someone here to look with me, though :-).

Of the three revisions merged together

   r8368 - doesn't affect the core build system
   r8417 - affects the core build system
   r8418 - doesn't affect the build system

So there's really only one to worry about.  I'll/we'll take a look.

-Karl

Posted by Eric Gillespie <ep...@pretzelnet.org>.