Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Daniel J Mauer <dj...@raytheon.com> on 2003/11/19 16:31:10 UTC

Chainsaw - viewing log files from client side

Hi,

I am looking for a way to view log files stored on the server from a client
machine, and am wondering if Chainsaw can be used for this purpose.  I know
Chainsaw uses a JFileChooser to load files, which I believe cannot be used
to access files on a remote server?  If it can, how would one restrict
access to just the directory where the log files are stored?  Finally, does
anyone know how to start Chainsaw from code rather than from a script?  I
would like for it to be possible for our users to start Chainsaw from our
application whenever they want to look at log files.  Thanks!

Dan

Re: Chainsaw - viewing log files from client side

Posted by Paul Smith <pa...@lawlex.com.au>.
First question, are we talking about Chainsaw v1 (part of the log4j
1.2.8 distribution), or Chainsaw v2, which accessible from CVS, but not
officially released as yet.

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 02:31, Daniel J Mauer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a way to view log files stored on the server from a client
> machine, and am wondering if Chainsaw can be used for this purpose.  I know
> Chainsaw uses a JFileChooser to load files, which I believe cannot be used
> to access files on a remote server?  If it can, how would one restrict
> access to just the directory where the log files are stored?  Finally, does
> anyone know how to start Chainsaw from code rather than from a script?  I
> would like for it to be possible for our users to start Chainsaw from our
> application whenever they want to look at log files.  Thanks!

If you are willing to try things direct from CVS, we might be able to
help.  v1 of Chainsaw is not being actively maintained, but v2 is
currently in heavy, if sporadic, development.

version as yet.  It really should be simple to do, so maybe I should get
off my but and do it....

Starting from within a running VM would be a little difficult at the
moment, I think I could add a static factory method to create one for
you.   Would that help?

cheers,

Paul Smith