Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Vincent Deffontaines <vi...@gryzor.com> on 2003/08/04 17:53:43 UTC

Out of date section in "manual/stopping"

Translating more and more docs into french, I have found the last
paragraph of the "/manual/stopping.xml" documentation (in the 2.1 branch)
looks very old and out of date. I suggest it be removed if appropriate, or
at least updated.

Here is what it says :

All architectures have a small race condition in each child
involving the second and subsequent requests on a persistent
HTTP connection (KeepAlive). It may exit after reading the
request line but before reading any of the request headers.
There is a fix that was discovered too late to make 1.2. In
theory this isn't an issue because the KeepAlive client has to
expect these events because of network latencies and server
timeouts. In practice it doesn't seem to affect anything either
-- in a test case the server was restarted twenty times per
second and clients successfully browsed the site without
getting broken images or empty documents.

Vincent

--
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.

Re: Out of date section in "manual/stopping"

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Vincent Deffontaines wrote:

> Translating more and more docs into french, I have found the last
> paragraph of the "/manual/stopping.xml" documentation (in the 2.1 branch)
> looks very old and out of date. I suggest it be removed if appropriate, or
> at least updated.

Yes, I agree that looks very out-of-date.  The first paragraph of that
section also looks ancient.  The second paragraph is probably obsolete as
well, but I can't guarentee it.  Anyone have more info?

It would be nice to get rid of the whole section, assuming these race
conditions really are gone.

See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/stopping.html#race

Joshua.