Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by mark yoffe <ma...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/26 13:49:47 UTC

Sveral Brokers at once

Hi Guys

i wanted to know if it is possible to run several Brokers on the same
machine
or is there a problem with this issuse?

will running several brokers on the same machine be better or worse ?
performence wise?

is there a plan to create a mechanisim which will connect several brokers
and load balance messages betwen them if needed?
some kind of cluster maybe ( not the redundancy features mentioned in one of
the threads)

Regards

Mark

Re: Sveral Brokers at once

Posted by mark yoffe <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for all your answers

Re: Sveral Brokers at once

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Re: Sveral Brokers at once

Posted by Arnaud Simon <as...@redhat.com>.
Hi,

On Mon, 2008-05-26 at 14:49 +0300, mark yoffe wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> i wanted to know if it is possible to run several Brokers on the same
> machine
> or is there a problem with this issuse?

It is possible if you use different port numbers indeed.

> will running several brokers on the same machine be better or worse ?
> performence wise?

If your goal is to achieve high performance/failover you would obviously
run your brokers on several boxes. Talking about the C++ broker it has
been designed for scaling with the number of cpu so you should not
benefit in running several brokers on the box. Regarding the M2.1 java
broker I am not sure about the current cpu scalability but I am sure
Martin will know.

> is there a plan to create a mechanisim which will connect several brokers
> and load balance messages betwen them if needed?
> some kind of cluster maybe ( not the redundancy features mentioned in one of
> the threads)

I would paraphrase Carl:
M2.1 supports client failover so active-passive setup can be setup with
the type A-P software, cluster-suite, veritus etc... there is active
-active cluster support work being done currently on the C++ trunk
broker, there was a cluster module for Java broker, but that is being
planned to be redone.

Regards

Arnaud