Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Peter Guhl <pg...@siconline.ch> on 2005/03/11 11:25:02 UTC

Header Tagging with # instead of *

Hello all

Our Mailclient handles * in filter rules as wildcards. Now I tried to
change the subject tagging to # (as I have seen it at other
spamassassins-results) but this is the comment character (--> --lint
fails). Experimenting with escaping resulted in \\#SPAM\\# (using
\#SPAM\# in local.cf) or in " (using "#SPAM#").

Now... how did those people manage to tag spam with #SPAM#? Any idea?

Somebody suggested to use ++++SPAM++++. Of course, that's easy - but
nobody else does it and I don't want to invent my own tagging-standard
if I can avoid it.

Regards
         Peter

Re: Header Tagging with # instead of *

Posted by Peter Guhl <pg...@siconline.ch>.
On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 05:09, John Andersen wrote:
> On Saturday 12 March 2005 02:47 pm, jdow wrote:
> > The canonical way to do it is something like:
> >
> > rewrite_header Subject     *****SPAM***** _SCORE(00)_ **
> >
> > That gives headers that look like:
> > Subject: *****SPAM***** 027.3 ** spoo is best for slow sex
>
> The OP was interested in header tagging, (Hence the subject of the
> thread), not munging the subject line.

Both are right ;) For me the subject line is part of the header. But, as
I have told, I already tried to escape the # with \# and the result was
that it was writing it including the backslash as \#. Without escaping
it does, again as I said, nothing because anything starting with # is
considered a comment in local.cf

I did use the "+" now. No need to escape anything and (hopefully) no
wildcard.

Thanks for your tips anyway.

Posted by John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net>.

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

Re: Header Tagging with # instead of *

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
The canonical way to do it is something like:

rewrite_header Subject     *****SPAM***** _SCORE(00)_ **

That gives headers that look like:
Subject: *****SPAM***** 027.3 ** spoo is best for slow sex

With OutlookExpunge I use "*****SPAM*****" in the omnibus spam rule
and it seems to trigger properly. But then, I don't get mail that
would contain spoospamspoo or the like. I've never seen it false
sort the email.

So you'd change the "*" characters above to "#" characters. If that
misbehaves you might need to escape them, "\#". But I don't think that
is necessary. For the "+" variant then change "*" above to "+".

{^_^}
Posted by John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net>.