Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu> on 2006/11/10 18:04:27 UTC

Creating components in JIRA

We should probably create some "Components" in JIRA, under which
issues can be classified.  Two questions: (1) Who has access to do
this?  (2) What components should we have?

(1) I don't seem to have administrator access to JIRA.  Marshall
might, since he is listed as Project Lead.  Or maybe only our mentors
can do this.  The JIRA docs show that if you have administrator access
there should be an "Administration" item on the bar at the top of the
JIRA web interface.

(2) I imagine the components should correspond to our modules:
website
documentation
uimaj-core
uimaj-cpe
uimaj-examples
uimaj-tools
uimaj-ep-configurator
uimaj-ep-debug
uimaj-ep-jcasgen
uimaj-ep-pear-packager
uimaj-ep-runtime
uimaj-adapter-soap
uimaj-adapter-vinci
uimaj-distr

We might drop the uimaj suffix but then would be stuck if later we
have, say, a uimacpp-core module.

-Adam

Re: Creating components in JIRA

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
+1 - you have my go-ahead to do something here along these lines.  These
look very readable.

-Marshall

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
What's the trade-off between fine-grain (for example - each plugin is
it's own component) versus coarser grained (have one thing for all plugins)?

I'm guessing that some good criteria would be:

  - obviousness (someone submitting an issue would find it obvious where
it goes)
  - not too fine grained (otherwise you lose summary info, or list
becomes too long - not sure about this)
  - each category can have a default initial assignee person

My instincts point me toward wanting fewer categories here.  If the list
gets to big, it's harder to find things.

Perhaps:

website
documentation
uimaj-core
uimaj-collection-processing
uimaj-????  (adapters, protocols, transports, ???)
uimaj-examples
uimaj-tools        <<< other than eclipse
uimaj-eclipse-plugins
uimaj-build        <<< build, packaging, distribution of uimaj
legal        <<< license, etc. issues

uimacpp-xxx
uimacpp-yyy etc.

sandbox
corpora   <<< future?

-Marshall

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Adam Lally wrote:
> (2) I imagine the components should correspond to our modules:
> website
> documentation
> uimaj-core
> uimaj-cpe