Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by AM <gi...@yahoo.it> on 2006/12/18 15:39:35 UTC

log4j conflict

I'm experiencing the following:

I've a Running Tomcat 5.0 with log4j-1.2.12.jar in $TOMCAT_HOME/shared/lib

Wanted functioning:
I have a library, let's say myLib.jar,  which I put in $TOMCAT_HOME/shared/lib
in order to let a few webapplications using it. The myLib library uses log4j
too for its own logging.
Moreover I've a few webapplications, let's say MyWebApp_1 and MyWebApp_2,
deployed as usual in $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/. Both of them logging and using
myLib.

What I get is the following.
 myLib can't log as Log4j can't initalize correctly: a ClassLoader exception
occurs when both the main ClassLoader and webApplications' classloader find the
same classes.
Tried removing the  log4j.jar and using  just log4j.properties in the
webapplication, but in this case, I couldn't get the webappl's log working.

 Can't use a different logging library or change the deployment.
Any hint??

Re: log4j conflict

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Log4j should not be in shared/lib.  Put either in common/lib or WEB-INF/lib (or
both, doesn't really matter), but not shared/lib.

And unless you want to share a logger repository and/or use Log4j for Tomcat
logging (in which case you would also put commons-logging.jar in common/lib), I
would avoid common/lib altogether and just use WEB-INF/lib.

If your log4j.properties doesn't get picked up, try using log4j.xml.  XML config
files get loaded in preference to property config files.  Make sure the config
file is in WEB-INF/classes.

Let us know if that helps.

Jake