Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Akos Tajti <ak...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/16 19:37:31 UTC

a higher-level layer above lucene

Hi All,

I'm looking for a solution that hides the complexity and the low level
structure of Lucene (to make it much simpler to use). I came across the
Compass Project which looks pretty good. I just want to know if there are
any comparable solutions (I didn't find any). Do you know about such
solution?

Thanks in advance,
Ákos Tajti

Re: a higher-level layer above lucene

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
I really think you want to consider Solr.

First, it's pretty easy to incorporate your custom
analyzers as plugins.

Second, the "no cache filter" (see:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-2429)
was designed for ACL calculations. Using it
will also keep things like document counts
and facet counts accurate.

Third, you have a server/servlet environment
already, you're not introducing anything new.

Really, one of the things Solr does is abstract
the Lucene layer, while allowing you to still
do the under-the-cover things people often want
via plugins.

But to answer your question, no, there's no
simple abstraction layer over Lucene that I
know of OOB.

Best
Erick

Posted by Akos Tajti <ak...@gmail.com>.
Erick,

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Re:Re: a higher-level layer above lucene

Posted by "gang.liu" <ga...@cubead.com>.
you can use solrj as java client api for solr server.  it's simple and powerful.

--
gang liu
email: liugangc@gmail.com

Posted by Tajti Ákos <ak...@gmail.com>.