Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by ol...@interaccess.com on 2003/12/18 15:16:10 UTC

Buildoing client only on Windows.

The instructions on this are very confusing.

Re: Buildoing client only on Windows.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
kfogel@collab.net wrote:

>olczyk@interaccess.com writes:
>

>>But I don't see a way of using that script to generate project files
>>that are client only, and the normal generatied scripts are to
>>intertwined with server builds.
>>

>I'm not competent to describe how to do a client-only build on
>Windows.  Can anyone else say how to do it?  A patch to INSTALL would
>be ideal; if not, a prose description on this list would still help.

There is no client-only build on Windows.

Re: Buildoing client only on Windows.

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
olczyk@interaccess.com writes:
> It seems to say that you can download some zip that will act as a seed
> for an svn co, but I haven't found any zip that really fits that
> description.

Thanks.  I've fixed that part; the next text now reads:

  D.  Bootstrapping from a Zip or Installer File under Windows

      Of all the ways of getting a Subversion client, this is the
      easiest.  Download a Zip (*.zip) or self-extracting installer
      (*-setup.exe) file from:

      http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=91

      For a Zip file, run your unzipping utility (WinZIP, ZipGenius,
      UltimateZIP, FreeZIP, whatever) and extract the DLLs and EXEs to
      a directory of your choice. Included in the download is the SVN
      client, the SVNADMIN administration tool, and the SVNLOOK
      reporting tool.

      Now open a DOS box (run either "cmd" or "command" from the
      Start menu's "Run..." menu option), change to the directory you
      installed the executables into, and run:

          C:\test>svn co http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk svn

      This will get the latest Subversion sources and put them into the
      "svn" subdirectory.

      If using a self-extracting .exe file, just run it instead of
      unzipping it, to install Subversion.

> The only other instructions ( for a client build ) are:
>
> :      To build the client components, you'll need a copy of neon
> :      0.24.4.  See section I.5 for details on where to get one and
> :      what to do with it when you get it.
>
> There are no other instructions for a client only build.
> There is one thing that might be useful ( and something similar is
> absolutely needed ), and that is to use the gen-make.py script.
>
> But I don't see a way of using that script to generate project files
> that are client only, and the normal generatied scripts are to
> intertwined with server builds.

I'm not competent to describe how to do a client-only build on
Windows.  Can anyone else say how to do it?  A patch to INSTALL would
be ideal; if not, a prose description on this list would still help.

Thanks,
-Karl

Re: Buildoing client only on Windows.

Posted by ol...@interaccess.com.
On 18 Dec 2003 09:36:26 -0600, kfogel@collab.net wrote:

>olczyk@interaccess.com writes:
>> The instructions on this are very confusing.
>
>This post, on the other hand, is a model of clarity :-).
>
>Seriously, olczyk: please say exactly what documentation (i.e., which
>file) you found confusing, how it was confusing, and how you would
>improve it.  Posting to say "X is confusing" doesn't give much
>information.  Obviously, the people who wrote it didn't think it was
>confusing, or they would have written it differently!  So if you think
>it's confusing, you need to explain why.
>
>Thank you,
>-Karl
Specifically the INSTALL file that is part of the source, which gives
the following isntructions:

:  D.  Bootstrapping from a Zip File under Windows
:
:      Of all the ways of getting a Subversion client, this is the
:      easiest. Just download the ZIP file, run your unzipping utility