Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Evan Klitzke <ek...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/06 01:21:17 UTC

[users@httpd] Troubleshooting Tips?

Hi everyone,

I am a junior sysadmin (well, intern actually) at a company using
Apache. Right now I am tasked with migrating one of our servers to a
newer machine, and this involved doing more work with Apache than I have
done previously. I encountered a problem where turning on mod_perl would
cause Apache to run _really_ slowly (as in taking a minute to return a
small plain HTML page). In this case, I was sort of at a loss on how to
figure out what was causing the problem. The access and error logs
in /var/log/apache2 weren't showing anything helpful. The man page
indicated that I might be able to get some debugging output using the -X
option and starting apache at the command line, but I didn't get any
output (probably apache didn't consider anything that was going on
seriously amiss). Since this is something that will come up in the
future again I'm sure, I'm wondering: what is the best way to
troubleshoot Apache problems? Is there a way to turn on really verbose
logging, or to otherwise figure out what the heck is going on when
Apache spends 2-3 minutes just starting itself? This is especially
pertinent when Apache isn't actually encountering errors, it is just
running an order of magnitude more slowly than it ought to be. I realize
there's strace, but using it on something as big and complex as Apache
is somewhat daunting.

Thanks a lot!
Evan Klitzke

Re: [users@httpd] Troubleshooting Tips?

Posted by Octavian Rasnita <or...@gmail.com>.
If it happends only the first time or the first few times you access a
certain page and it uses mod_perl, check if the modules used by that program
are preloaded at server startup.

Octavian