Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2016/06/16 11:21:05 UTC

BSD 4 clause as a Category A license?

Hi,

I was wondering if BSD 4 clause counts as a Category A license as defined here: http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-a

Apache Trafodion (incubating) leverages code licensed this way: https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafodion/blob/master/core/sql/common/swsprintf.cpp#L3

If it is permissive to use, is it required to be published in a NOTICE or DISCLAIMER file?

John

Re: BSD 4 clause as a Category A license?

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Sorry one more note.  This is the UoC specific license variant.

John

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

This is an exception, the clause in question has been rescinded (in 1999) making the license a 3 clause BSD license [1]

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://opensource.org/licenses/BSD-3-Clause
2. ftp://ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/4bsd/README.Impt.License.Change

Re: BSD 4 clause as a Category A license?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
There was a recent thread on Advertising Clauses.  Here's Roy's response:

https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201606.mbox/%3c
5EA502C6-CF9B-4DB5-83D5-25280DD9FE2E@gbiv.com%3e

-Alex

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
No, BSD-4 is not compatible. The advertising clause is too broad to
count as an approved open source license, e.g. an entry in our
distribution's NOTICE is not sufficient to comply.

Anyone should be able to use Apache Trafodion and advertise their
final product (e.g. EsgynDB) as they please, as long as they respect
Apache trademarks and follow the ASF license in their distribution.
(e.g. propagate LICENSE and NOTICE).

We have special permission for OpenSSL as the Open SSL authors have
given us written permission that such a NOTICE is sufficient - but I
am not aware of such a permission from The Regents of the University
of California

That said, I think the license of BSD has retrospectively been changed
to the compatible 3-clause - but I would need to look of the details.
See for instance:
http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/lib/libc/stdio/vfprintf.c?rev=1.45&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

On 16 June 2016 at 13:21, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if BSD 4 clause counts as a Category A license as defined here: http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-a
>
> Apache Trafodion (incubating) leverages code licensed this way: https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafodion/blob/master/core/sql/common/swsprintf.cpp#L3
>
> If it is permissive to use, is it required to be published in a NOTICE or DISCLAIMER file?
>
> John

Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718