Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "Sreenivasan N." <sr...@ap.sony.com> on 2002/06/07 07:43:01 UTC

Can Cocoon can be used for large content related Intranet?

Hi all

I have been working with Cocoon and analysing it for implementing for our
corporate intranet. Basically the exsisting intranet contain word
documents, Excel documents for various projects which user will see it from
the intranet. Now we are planning to have those data in XML format so we
can render it in different ways.

We are also focusing on customizing the output depend on the selection.
i.e
CASE 1 : one user wants project description of all the projects in the
organisation
CASE 2:  Aggregated output of selected projects
CASE 3: Appliying filter for the documents and getting the output..

Can anyone suggest me whether these can be using inside Cocoon.

Thanks in advance
Regards
Sreenivasan.

"Attitudes are much more important than aptitudes."
"Nothing is impossible for a willing heart"

Sreenivasan N.
Sony SARD
Ext 232

Email. sreenivasan.n@ap.sony.com
Per: nsreenivasan@yahoo.com

Re: Can Cocoon can be used for large content related Intranet?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
On Friday 07 June 2002 07:43, Sreenivasan N. wrote:
>. . .
> We are also focusing on customizing the output depend on the selection.
> i.e
> CASE 1 : one user wants project description of all the projects in the
> organisation
> CASE 2:  Aggregated output of selected projects

If I understand right, you're talking selection/sorting here.

In Cocoon itself, you could use XSLT transforms to do these selections and
sorts, but to get good performance you'd need to prepare some kind of "map
files" in XML that would contain lists of directories or file names, mapped
to project identifiers.

Depending on the number of documents and directories and on the frequency of
updates, this could quickly become too slow or impractical, at which point
you will need some kind of database (XML or relational) to hold these maps.

This kind of "file attributes database" is not a standard part of Cocoon
today AFAIK, you'd have to build it yourself or use external components for
this.

What Cocoon offers today is easy access to SQL databases and good integration
with the XIndice XML database. There have been talks recently on cocoon-dev
about using the Slide content management system as a back-end, but it's not
there yet.

> CASE 3: Appliying filter for the documents and getting the output..

If this means filtering XML documents and converting to presentation formats
(HTML, PDF, RTF, etc.), then yes, that's exactly what Cocoon does.

Hope this helps!
--
 Bertrand Delacrétaz (codeconsult.ch, jfor.org)

 buzzwords: XML, java, XSLT, cocoon, mentoring/teaching/coding.
 disclaimer: eternity is very long. mostly towards the end. get ready.