Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2003/06/15 17:00:29 UTC

site fixed again

Hi gang,

Well, I fixed the site again. The problem was in a commit roughly 7
weeks ago (which is how long stuff was broken :/) by Berin which
contained some malformed docs. This was also causing forrestbot to fail.
I've performed some cvs surgery on avalon-site/site and let forrestbot
update stuff.

Also some other minor edits.

lets hope it stays working :D

- Leo

Re: site fixed again

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 09:42:16AM +0200, Leo Simons wrote:
> Stephen McConnell wrote:
> >
> >Leo:
> >
> >Site auto-updating seems to have stopped functioning from about one or
> >two weeks ago.  Any ideas?

I think the meta-solution is to bug Sam, who runs the script.  Only
reason I know for stuff not updating is if someone did a manual update
and messed up the file permissions.  Perhaps someone with a daedalus acct
could check this.

Re: site brokenness, after a few small XML fixups, I did a refresh and
publish from forrestbot.cocoondev.org and it all worked as expected.
I've checked avalon-site and avalon-phoenix; let me know if there's any
others to be added..

> the basic problem is that if something other than forrest updates the
> site, and forrest then has a problem merging changes, an update doesn't
> happen. At least that's what I think the problem is.

Don't think so (though I can't tell now its working), because the script
does a cvsco [1] and cvs update on the avalon-site module before copying
stuff there.

--Jeff

[1] from http://www.red-bean.com/cvsutils/, where cvsco ~= fresh checkout

Re: site fixed again

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:
> or something similar should do the trick. I'll set that up.

done. Logs will be at

http://avalon.apache.org/cvsuplog.txt

so normal mortals who don't know bash shell scripting will be able to
debug what's going on :D

- Leo

Re: site fixed again

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Leo Simons wrote:

>> Seperate issues.
>> The site has been busted for a while - the autoupdating has stopped
>> working only in the last week or two.
>

> I should take my own advice!

LOL
;-)

> at least I understand what you're talking about now :D. Best guess is
> that those updates were triggered by a crontab running from pete's
> account on daedalus, which has been disabled.

Yep - that makes total sense.

> echo \
>    '0 0,6,12,24 * * * nice cvs -z3 up -P -d /www/avalon.apache.org' \
>    > ~/tmp.tab
> crontab ~/tmp.tag

*blink* *blink*

> or something similar should do the trick. I'll set that up.

Better you than me!

Steve.

> - LSD

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org
http://www.osm.net

http://avalon.apache.org/sandbox/merlin

Re: site fixed again

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Stephen McConnell wrote:
>>> Site auto-updating seems to have stopped functioning from about one
>>> or two weeks ago.  Any ideas?
>
> Seperate issues.
> The site has been busted for a while - the autoupdating has stopped
> working only in the last week or two.

I should take my own advice!

at least I understand what you're talking about now :D. Best guess is
that those updates were triggered by a crontab running from pete's
account on daedalus, which has been disabled.

echo \
    '0 0,6,12,24 * * * nice cvs -z3 up -P -d /www/avalon.apache.org' \
    > ~/tmp.tab
crontab ~/tmp.tag

Re: site fixed again

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Leo Simons wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>> Leo:
>>
>> Site auto-updating seems to have stopped functioning from about one
>> or two weeks ago.  Any ideas?
>

> <snip/>
>
>>> The problem was in a commit roughly 7 weeks ago (which is how long
>>> stuff was broken :/) by Berin which contained some malformed docs.
>>> This was also causing forrestbot to fail.
>>

> read, the post, dude :D
>
> (or better yet, don't answer e-mail on monday morning ;)

Seperate issues.
The site has been busted for a while - the autoupdating has stopped
working only in the last week or two.

> the basic problem is that if something other than forrest updates the
> site, and forrest then has a problem merging changes, an update
> doesn't happen. At least that's what I think the problem is.

Doesn't make total sence.  I've been posting regular updates to the site
and they have been appearing with about 6 hours.  The updating was
happening indepedently of the forrest related issues.

> I'm not completely sure what happened exactly because I haven't
> actually looked into the forrestbot scripts (nor do I have access to
> cocoondev). Jeff should be able to provide more info if we need it.....

I think we need it!

Cheers, Steve.

Re: site fixed again

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Leo:
>
> Site auto-updating seems to have stopped functioning from about one or
> two weeks ago.  Any ideas?

<snip/>

Re: site fixed again

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Leo:

Re: site fixed again

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 17:00:29 +0200
Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> wrote:
> Also some other minor edits.

> lets hope it stays working :D

Great! It's working!

I have come to know "who you are", with this ;-)

-- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)