Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/28 20:03:02 UTC

Extract Modred Library [WAS Re: compile 2.3.1]

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 5:54 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> Hontvari Jozsef ha scritto:
>

> > The current 2.3.1 cannot be compiled using ant compile-main, because
> mordred PoolConnEntry assumes a very old version of java.sql.Connection. Is
> this correct?
> >

> > compile-main:
> >   [javac] ...\src\java\org\apache\james\util\mordred\PoolConnEntry.java:37
> > : org.apache.james.util.mordred.PoolConnEntry is not abstract and does not
> override abstract method
> > createStruct(java.lang.String,java.lang.Object[]) in java.sql.Connection
> >

>  It is not about ant but about jdk libraries: just use the jdk version 1.4
> and it will work.
>  Maybe you are using jdk 1.6 and james 2.3.1 does not build with it.

i've had enough of keeping mordred around in the source. why don't we
just make mordred a separate library product?

- robert

Re: Extract Modred Library [WAS Re: compile 2.3.1]

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 5:54 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
>> Hontvari Jozsef ha scritto:
>>

>>> The current 2.3.1 cannot be compiled using ant compile-main, because
>> mordred PoolConnEntry assumes a very old version of java.sql.Connection. Is
>> this correct?
>>>
>>> compile-main:
>>>   [javac] ...\src\java\org\apache\james\util\mordred\PoolConnEntry.java:37
>>> : org.apache.james.util.mordred.PoolConnEntry is not abstract and does not
>> override abstract method
>>> createStruct(java.lang.String,java.lang.Object[]) in java.sql.Connection
>>>
>>  It is not about ant but about jdk libraries: just use the jdk version 1.4
>> and it will work.
>>  Maybe you are using jdk 1.6 and james 2.3.1 does not build with it.
>
> i've had enough of keeping mordred around in the source. why don't we
> just make mordred a separate library product?
>
> - robert

It is *2* classes, 38kb of sources (including license header/comments).
OK for having a separate module in trunk (as you did), but why a top
level library? Will this really simplify your (as the only active
developer) work? In this case, here is my +0, but please, think about
this twice ;-)

Stefano

Re: Extract Modred Library [WAS Re: compile 2.3.1]

Posted by Serge Knystautas <sk...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 9:52 PM, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>
>  > Noel advocated deletion in another thread
>
>  After some years of resisting removing it.  :-)
>

>  > I tend to be conservative about backwards compatibility. So I would
>  > tend to move the source into somewhere like legacy. Wouldn't take much
>  > to cut a release or could just ask users to build their own.
>
>  I have been testing the replacement for a long time, and it is a drop-in
>  replacement.  Anyone who still finds some reason to use mordred can download
>  the code and do their own build, *OR* explain to us why we should still
>  maintain mordred.

I'm good with this too... either separate build that's a binary
dependency or just a separate download to build manually.

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501

RE: Extract Modred Library [WAS Re: compile 2.3.1]

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> Noel advocated deletion in another thread

After some years of resisting removing it.  :-)

> I tend to be conservative about backwards compatibility. So I would
> tend to move the source into somewhere like legacy. Wouldn't take much
> to cut a release or could just ask users to build their own.

I have been testing the replacement for a long time, and it is a drop-in
replacement.  Anyone who still finds some reason to use mordred can download
the code and do their own build, *OR* explain to us why we should still
maintain mordred.

	--- Noel

Re: Extract Modred Library [WAS Re: compile 2.3.1]

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 4/29/08, Danny Angus <da...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 7:42 PM, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
>
> >  See my reply.
>
> What?!

Noel advocated deletion in another thread

I tend to be conservative about backwards compatibility. So I would
tend to move the source into somewhere like legacy. Wouldn't take much
to cut a release or could just ask users to build their own.

Robert

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 7:42 PM, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:

>  See my reply.

What?!

d.

RE: Extract Modred Library [WAS Re: compile 2.3.1]

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.