Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Danushka Menikkumbura <da...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/10 01:36:23 UTC

Creating virtual hosts dynamically on the Java broker

Hi devs,

Can we create vhosts dynamically?. In fact when I go though the code I can
see that it is doable with little changes but what are the complications
with approach? Also I would like to know how scalable it is to create so
many virtual hosts at runtime.

Thanks,
Danushka

--
Danushka Menikkumbura
Apache Axis2 PMC Member

Apache Qpid - World Domination through Advanced Message Queueing ;
http://qpid.apache.org

phone : +94 77 364 1754
personal blog : http://danushka-menikkumbura.blogspot.com/
<http://danushka-menikkumbura.blogspot.com/>technical blog :
http://danushkastechythoughts.blogspot.com/
 <http://danushkastechythoughts.blogspot.com/>twitter :
http://twitter.com/danushkamenik
<http://twitter.com/danushkamenik>linkedin :
http://lk.linkedin.com/in/danushka

Re: Creating virtual hosts dynamically on the Java broker

Posted by Andrew Kennedy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 10 Dec 2010, at 00:36, Danushka Menikkumbura wrote:
> Hi devs,

Hi, Danushka.

> Can we create vhosts dynamically?. In fact when I go though the
> code I can
> see that it is doable with little changes but what are the
> complications
> with approach? Also I would like to know how scalable it is to
> create so
> many virtual hosts at runtime.

What is 'many' when talking about virtual hosts? I mean, usually when
you're thinking about upper limits for this kind of thing, there's
some other issue, that may be easier to solve?

I suppose you could test the memory impact and so forth with a script
that generated a 'virtualhosts.xml' file with N uniquely named
'<virtualhost />' elements, where N approaches MAXINT or whatever?
However, I can't see a (good) reason for creating a large amount of
virtual hosts either, really, like Robbie says. What are you trying
to do here, enforce user or application separation for a large number
of users/applications, or something similar?

Also, dynamically adding virtual hosts could cause problems if people
simply misspel their names, although you could add a security
permission for adding virtual hosts, and only grant it to certain
users. See dynamically created queues, for example...

Cheerz,
Andrew.
--
-- andrew d kennedy ? do not fold, bend, spindle, or mutilate ;
-- http://grkvlt.blogspot.com/ ? edinburgh : +44 7582 293 255 ;

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

RE: Creating virtual hosts dynamically on the Java broker

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
It can't be done currently, but as you note there is probably little
involved in making it possible. To what end though?

Robbie