Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Ross Gardler <ro...@gardler.org> on 2005/10/26 14:38:47 UTC

Forrestbar = cool tool

Just a note of appreciation for bringing the ForrestBar up to date. This
is great stuff, worth is if only for the easy searching of the dev archives.

Lets try and keep this up to date now (good to see it in the release
process notes)

Ross

Re: Forrestbar = cool tool

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Cyriaque Dupoirieux wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler a écrit :
>
>> El mié, 26-10-2005 a las 13:38 +0100, Ross Gardler escribió:
>>

>>> Just a note of appreciation for bringing the ForrestBar up to date.
>>> This is great stuff, worth is if only for the easy searching of the
>>> dev archives.
>>>
>>> Lets try and keep this up to date now (good to see it in the release
>>> process notes)
>>>

> I have a local version of the forrestbar which add a Devs menu where it
> is possible to display internal format of a page (if forrest run) :
> At the moment you can display :
> The Intermediate format = page.source.rewritten.xml
> The Body                      = page.body.xml
> The ToC                       = page.toc.xml
> The Abstract                 = page.abstract.xml
> The Authors                  = page.authors.xml
> The Navigation              = page.navigation.xml
> The Title                       = page.title.xml
>
> Are you interested ?

Yes please, that sounds like a cool idea.

Ross

Re: Forrestbar = cool tool

Posted by Cyriaque Dupoirieux <Cy...@pcotech.fr>.
Thorsten Scherler a écrit :

>El jue, 03-11-2005 a las 09:57 +0000, Ross Gardler escribió:
>

>>David Crossley wrote:

>>>However what i meant was that until these recent changes
>>>that now point directly to material in trunk, we could
>>>update the docs and forrestbar.xpi on the website.
>>>Now any updates need to wait until we do the 0.8 release.
>>>

>>Yes, before such changes we should have created a version in the 0.7
>>branch. What I meant was we will now have to wait until 0.8 to do this
>>(unless someone knows which revision introduced 0.8-dev specific stuff
>>and does the merge into the 0.7 branch now).
>>

>Dudes, it was as well me with v2 specific stuff. I am sorry I thought we
>should use and extend the forrestbar in current dev (0.8-dev).
>
>We can just comment out the v2 stuff (xul is xml, just surround it with
><!-- -->) which is kind of a petty because the forrestbar is in *TRUNK*
>and IMO trunk code is current dev. Freezing it to a certain version
>(0.7) is IMO the wrong approach.
>
>Anyway should we comment the calling code?

-1, Personnaly, I use it very often and I think it's a very useful tool
for customizers...

Re: Forrestbar = cool tool

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>Why not put a version in the 0.7 branch which only has 0.7 features then
>>keep a version in trunk which is for the trunk version?
>>
>>It's not a huge issue, just a convenience.
>

> The issue is *only* that the website documentation
> and this tool forrestbar.xpi is produced from the trunk
> and not from the forrest_07_branch.

Thanks for the explanation of the issue. I understand now. This is
another good reason for having the tools in a separate part of SVN.
However, as you say, there are other more impoirtnat things at present.

Ross

Re: Forrestbar = cool tool

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:

> Why not put a version in the 0.7 branch which only has 0.7 features then
> keep a version in trunk which is for the trunk version?
>
> It's not a huge issue, just a convenience.

The issue is *only* that the website documentation
and this tool forrestbar.xpi is produced from the trunk
and not from the forrest_07_branch.

We can do what Ross suggests. However when people
generate the website, we would need to remember
to get those particular bits from the branch instead.
I don't think that the extra work is warranted.

As i said earlier the "tools" are the only thing that
we have not "versioned" for the website. Docs and Plugins
we have done. There are more important things to attend
to at this stage.

Here is a partial solution. Just make it more obvious that
the "Dev" items are related to trunk, and explain it in
the docs.

Alternatively just don't update this on the website
until the 0.8 release. If devs want to use it, then
they must get it from trunk. Its easy.

-David

Re: Forrestbar = cool tool

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> El jue, 03-11-2005 a las 09:57 +0000, Ross Gardler escribió:
>
>>David Crossley wrote:

>>>However what i meant was that until these recent changes
>>>that now point directly to material in trunk, we could
>>>update the docs and forrestbar.xpi on the website.
>>>Now any updates need to wait until we do the 0.8 release.
>>
>>Yes, before such changes we should have created a version in the 0.7
>>branch. What I meant was we will now have to wait until 0.8 to do this
>>(unless someone knows which revision introduced 0.8-dev specific stuff
>>and does the merge into the 0.7 branch now).

> Freezing it to a certain version
> (0.7) is IMO the wrong approach.

I agree

Re: Forrestbar = cool tool

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.

--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: Forrestbar = cool tool

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Re: Forrestbar = cool tool

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: Forrestbar = cool tool

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Re: Forrestbar = cool tool

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:

> +1
> Where can wwe find it?

http://forrest.apache.org/tools/forrestbar.html

However, we have a problem. The version in trunk has now
gained stuff that is only relevant to 0.8-dev

So we can't publish the xpi file to that website.
We have not yet handled versions of tools.

So build it locally as instructed.

-David

Re: Forrestbar = cool tool

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <fe...@apache.org>.

Cyriaque Dupoirieux wrote:

> Thorsten Scherler a écrit :

>>El mié, 26-10-2005 a las 13:38 +0100, Ross Gardler escribió:
>>

>>>Just a note of appreciation for bringing the ForrestBar up to date. This
>>>is great stuff, worth is if only for the easy searching of the dev archives.
>>>
>>>Lets try and keep this up to date now (good to see it in the release
>>>process notes)
>>>

> I have a local version of the forrestbar which add a Devs menu where it
> is possible to display internal format of a page (if forrest run) :
> At the moment you can display :
> The Intermediate format = page.source.rewritten.xml
> The Body                      = page.body.xml
> The ToC                       = page.toc.xml
> The Abstract                 = page.abstract.xml
> The Authors                  = page.authors.xml
> The Navigation              = page.navigation.xml
> The Title                       = page.title.xml

> Are you interested ?

> Salutations,
> Cyriaque,

+1
Where can wwe find it?

--
Ferdinand Soethe

business helper lookup by forrestbar (was Re: Forrestbar = cool tool)

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El vie, 28-10-2005 a las 09:46 +0200, Cyriaque Dupoirieux escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler a écrit :
>
> >El mié, 26-10-2005 a las 13:38 +0100, Ross Gardler escribió:
> >

> >>Just a note of appreciation for bringing the ForrestBar up to date. This
> >>is great stuff, worth is if only for the easy searching of the dev archives.
> >>
> >>Lets try and keep this up to date now (good to see it in the release
> >>process notes)
> >>

> I have a local version of the forrestbar which add a Devs menu where it
> is possible to display internal format of a page (if forrest run) :
> At the moment you can display :
> The Intermediate format = page.source.rewritten.xml
> The Body                      = page.body.xml
> The ToC                       = page.toc.xml
> The Abstract                 = page.abstract.xml
> The Authors                  = page.authors.xml
> The Navigation              = page.navigation.xml
> The Title                       = page.title.xml
>
> Are you interested ?

Wow, Cyriaque, wonderful.

Yes, please, check it in. :)

+1

salu2

Re: Forrestbar = cool tool

Posted by Cyriaque Dupoirieux <Cy...@pcotech.fr>.

Re: Forrestbar = cool tool

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El mié, 26-10-2005 a las 13:38 +0100, Ross Gardler escribió:
> Just a note of appreciation for bringing the ForrestBar up to date. This
> is great stuff, worth is if only for the easy searching of the dev archives.
>
> Lets try and keep this up to date now (good to see it in the release
> process notes)

+1