Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by "Buttler, David" <bu...@llnl.gov> on 2011/02/24 02:31:32 UTC

Stack Overflow?

Hi all,
It seems that we are getting a lot of repeated questions now.  Perhaps it would be useful to start migrating the simple questions off to stackoverflow (or whichever stack exchange website is most appropriate), and just pointing people there?  Obviously there are still a lot of questions that can't be migrated over since they require detailed examination of logs, but some solid answers over there may help keep the signal high on this list.

Dave

Re: Stack Overflow?

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Hi David,

When I see people asking questions that others have asked before (and received
answers) I tend to point them to those questions/answers via a tool, so they
become aware of the tool, hopefully start using it, and thus check before asking
next time around.  For Lucene, Solr, etc. I point people to appropriate search
results on http://search-lucene.com and for HBase and friends I'd point people
to search results or specific ML threads over on http://search-hadoop.com/ .
That way a parallel knowledge base doesn't have to exist.

Otis

----

Re: Generating FAQ's from Stack Overflow?

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.
On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 8:05 PM, Andrew Look <al...@shopzilla.com> wrote:

> This way coherent responses could be chained together in order to aggregate
> more useful information, while people replying on tangents or spamming would
> tend to get left out.

Interesting point.

> Thoughts on how mahout might help create such an adjacency matrix?

Yes.  There are cooccurrence counters in Mahout that can help a lot with
this.  I will be visiting your facility on Wednesday fi you would like to
talk about this more.

> Obviously cosine similarity would still form the distances between each
> reply in a given thread, but it seems like having some way of weighting each
> term’s specificity would help too – i.e. SGD or SVM are more specific than
> classifier, and classifier is more specific than Mahout since we’re looking
> at the mahout mailing list...

yes.  Good idea.

Re: Generating FAQ's from Stack Overflow?

Posted by Andrew Look <al...@shopzilla.com>.
Interesting, faqcluster.com does appear to be a successful application of Mahout.. Categorizing by question+all replies seems like a smart approach.

Do you think that choosing the best answer based on the cosine similarity of inlcuded terms is the based way to go?  Is choosing a single answer even the best approach? It seems that in many cases, a coherent answer to a question emerges after a number of people have replied to the question at hand.

For instance, at http://faqcluster.com/question-521113443 :
    * Q: Is there a SVM classifier implemented in Mahout?
    * A: See also o.a.m.classifier.sgd.TrainNewsGroups

While in the source conversation, a number of useful pieces of information (even additional questions) are divulged in between the question and faqcluster’s chosen answer: http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/SVM-classifier-td2028948.html
    * Q1: Is there a SVM classifier implemented in Mahout?
    * A1: No. But the SGD classifier should have similar characteristics. There is also a rough draft of an SVM implementation available as a patch.
   * Q2: where can I know more about SGD classifier? mahout wiki did not help :(
   * A2i: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAHOUT/Logistic+Regression <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAHOUT/Logistic+Regression>  Sorry about that.  What queries did you use?
   * A2ii: See also o.a.m.classifier.sgd.TrainNewsGroups

Looking at this, I think that an interesting approach (to extracting the most useful information from a thread) would be to take the original question and all replies, and form an adjacency matrix:

Match(Q1, A1) = (SVM, classifier)
Match(Q1, Q2) = (classifier, mahout)
Match(A1, Q2) = (SGD, classifier)

This way coherent responses could be chained together in order to aggregate more useful information, while people replying on tangents or spamming would tend to get left out.

Thoughts on how mahout might help create such an adjacency matrix? Obviously cosine similarity would still form the distances between each reply in a given thread, but it seems like having some way of weighting each term’s specificity would help too – i.e. SGD or SVM are more specific than classifier, and classifier is more specific than Mahout since we’re looking at the mahout mailing list...

- Andrew

On 3/14/11 6:39 PM, "Ted Dunning" <td...@maprtech.com> wrote:

I found it.  The student in question was named Stefan Henß.  See here for details: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/mahout-user/201102.mbox/%3C4D660038.2000807@gmail.com%3E

The results were quite surprisingly good for how simple the techniques used are.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com> wrote:
I have looked but can't find the postings by a student who recently posted about their FAQ extraction program.  The results were pretty good in terms of precision and the extracted answers were very nice.  The methods used were quite simple.

Does anybody else remember this interchange?  Did it not occur here?  Did I imagine it?

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Andrew Look <al...@shopzilla.com> wrote:
Is there any easy way to export this data from sematext / stack overflow?
Or is web crawling/scraping the way to go here?

This is a good use case for Mahout, I've been looking for a problem to play
around on mahout with :)

Re: Stack Overflow?

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Re: Stack Overflow?

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Re: Stack Overflow?

Posted by Andrew Look <al...@shopzilla.com>.

Re: Stack Overflow?

Posted by Friso van Vollenhoven <fv...@xebia.com>.

Re: Stack Overflow?

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Re: Stack Overflow?

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Re: Stack Overflow?

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 7:01 AM, Otis Gospodnetic
<ot...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Ha!  That's exactly what I was saying (or trying to say) in my reply.

Smile

Re: Stack Overflow?

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Ha!  That's exactly what I was saying (or trying to say) in my reply.

Regarding this:
> Going forward I for one was going to try and mine our archives more at
> least for dealing with the repeats.

Do you mean manually, or did you have something more sophisticated in mind?

Thanks,
Otis
----
Sematext :: http://sematext.com/ :: Solr - Lucene - HBase