Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by "Verma Atul (extern)" <AV...@Webasto.de> on 2005/02/01 16:01:36 UTC

User Rights Management in Lucene

Hi,

I'm new to Lucene and want to know, whether Lucene has the capability of
displaying the search results based the Users Rights.

For Example:

There are suppose some resources, like :

Resource 1
Resource 2
Resource 3
Resource 4

And there are say 2 users with

User 1 having access to Resource 1, Resource 2 and Resource 4; and User
2 having access to Resource 1 and Resource 3

So when User 1 searches the database, then he should get results from
Resource 1, 2 and 4, but

When User 2 searches the databse, then he should get results from
Resource 1 and 3.

Regards
Atul Verma

Re: User Rights Management in Lucene

Posted by Chandrashekhar <ch...@cybage.com>.
Hi,
If you r working on some CMS or similar app and want to  have user rights
module then you can use metadata for rights information and add this
metadata into index information then you can search on this metadata.

With Regards,
Chandrashekhar V Deshmukh

Posted by PA <pe...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 01, 2005, at 16:01, Verma Atul (extern) wrote:

> I'm new to Lucene and want to know, whether Lucene has the capability
> of
> displaying the search results based the Users Rights.

Not by itself. But you can make it so.

Cheers

--
PA, Onnay Equitursay
http://alt.textdrive.com/

Re: User Rights Management in Lucene

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Feb 1, 2005, at 10:01 AM, Verma Atul (extern) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to Lucene and want to know, whether Lucene has the capability
> of
> displaying the search results based the Users Rights.
>
> For Example:
>
> There are suppose some resources, like :
>
> Resource 1
> Resource 2
> Resource 3
> Resource 4
>
> And there are say 2 users with
>
> User 1 having access to Resource 1, Resource 2 and Resource 4; and User
> 2 having access to Resource 1 and Resource 3
>
> So when User 1 searches the database, then he should get results from
> Resource 1, 2 and 4, but
>
> When User 2 searches the databse, then he should get results from
> Resource 1 and 3.

Lucene in Action has a SecurityFilterTest example (grab the source code
distribution).  You can see a glimpse of this here:

	http://www.lucenebook.com/search?query=security

So yes, its possible to index a username or roles alongside each
document and apply that criteria to any search a user makes such that a
user only gets documents allowed.  How complex this gets depends on how
you need the permissions to work - the LIA example is rudimentary and
simply associates an "owner" with each document and users are only
allowed to see the documents they own.

	Erik