Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dean Hoover <kb...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/14 19:14:15 UTC

Using calendar .ics files over Tomcat 5.5

Hello,

I am running Tomcat 5.5 in support of a internal-use only JSPWiki site.

To consolidate, I decided to move our internal calendars (using the iCal
.ics extension) from our very old Win2k server to the root directory of
Tomcat as well.

The problem I am having is that we are unable to modify (add/remove calendar
entries) after the move.  We can read them just fine.  I figure there is an
issue of permissions, and have Googled many sites that tell me to change the
catalina.policy file and add the ability for that directory to have read and
write access.  I've even used the AllPermissions setting, but with no
success.

I tried running "catalina.sh start -debug", but I don't get anything
substantial from the log files, either.

Dean Hoover
Waukesha, Wisconsin

Re: Using calendar .ics files over Tomcat 5.5

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Using calendar .ics files over Tomcat 5.5

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
I forgot to add :
Since previously the application was running on a Win2K server, it may be that this Win2K
server just "shared" (windows-like) the directory where the .ics files were located, and
this being in a local LAN, that the client were just writing the files there via a Windows
network file mechanism (and nothing to do with HTTP thus).
That sounds quite unsafe and limited, but in a small intranet may be acceptable.
If such was the case (and again the client setup should contain a hint), then maybe all
that's missing is to "share" the new directory under Tomcat where you put the files.
Tomcat won't be involved in the writing part, so it should not stand in the way, at least
as long as when a client writes there, the permissions don't prevent Tomcat from reading
the files (for the "download" part).

Don't take this as a recommendation of how to do it.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Right.

Posted by Dean Hoover <kb...@gmail.com>.
Fair enough, Chuck.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Dean Hoover <kb...@gmail.com>.
We are not using DAV, just simple iCalendar (.ics) files.

It was running on an old Win2k server using an even older Apache web service
before.  Was just hoping to be able to move the files over and allow write
permissions in Tomcat.

If that's not possible, I will pursue another option to make it work.
 Thanks everyone for your comments.

Dean

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.