Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Patrick Mc Erlean <pa...@googlemail.com> on 2006/11/13 21:12:57 UTC

How do I update the commons-fileupdate JAR from 1.0 to 1.2?

Hi,

I am sending packets from a mobile application to Apache Tomcat version
5.5.20. I am getting a response code of 411 when my packets are over
2016 bytes in length.

Apparently this is a bug in Apache Tomcat, where it doesn't deal
properly with Chunked Transfer.

I read that this problem is solved in commons-fileupload-1.2.jar. The
version that comes in the Apache Tomcat 5.5.20 installation is
commons-fileupload-1.0.jar.

I thought it was just a matter of replacing the old version of the jar
with the new but that's not working, and Tomcat is throwing logs every
10 seconds saying:

Additional JARs have been added

Reloading this context has started.

It looks like it's not as simple as replacing the jar. The jar actually
resides in ./server/webapps/manager/WEB-INF/lib.

Can anyone help me solve this problem and update properly to 1.2?

Regards, Patrick.

Re: How do I update the commons-fileupdate JAR from 1.0 to 1.2?

Posted by Patrick Mc Erlean <pa...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Steffen,

I'm pretty new to Tomcat. How do I setup Tomcat as a standalone, without
Apache?

Is that a separate download of is it just configured differently?

Regards, Patrick.

Posted by Steffen Heil <li...@steffen-heil.de>.
Hi

Posted by Patrick Mc Erlean <pa...@googlemail.com>.
Martin,

I was keeping an eye on the TCP packets.

When I run my app in the emulator, I can see all of the TCP packets
arriving on my web server machine. I can also see that they are using
Chunked Transfer. That all works fine and they are delivered to my Servlet..

When I run on the real phone, the packets never make it to my machine.
I'm convinced that they are being rejected by an intermediate server
operated by Orange because I do get the 411 response code back.

Regards, Patrick.

Posted by Patrick Mc Erlean <pa...@googlemail.com>.
Steffen Heil wrote:
> Hi
>

>> I downloaded Wireshark and I think you are absolutely right.
>>
>> The packets are not even reaching my machine in this situation.
>> Something in between is stopping them.
>>

> So this is not a Tomcat question at all.

I don't believe so. Actually I forgot to tell you about the output of
the Packet Analysis.

When I run the application through the Emulator it works fine.

I thought this was because the emulator was running on a PC and behaved
differently by using the PC's HTPP stack (i.e. it didn't do Chunked
Transfer). By examining the packets arriving on my web server machine I
was able to see that the emulator was also using Chunked Transfer. That
proves that there is nothing wrong with the Tomcat handling of Chunked
because it works for that situation.

It's really got to be an intermediate server that is causing the issue
when I send from a real phone (since packets dont reach my server).

Thanks, for your help.

>> Can you offer me any suggestions as to how I can track down
>> the problem?
>>
>> My phone is operating on an Orange network in the UK.
>>

> Call them. Ask them.

I don't hold out a lot of hope of getting a sensible reply :-)

Posted by Steffen Heil <li...@steffen-heil.de>.
Hi

Posted by Patrick Mc Erlean <pa...@googlemail.com>.
Steffen,

Posted by Steffen Heil <li...@steffen-heil.de>.
Hi

Posted by Patrick Mc Erlean <pa...@googlemail.com>.
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Patrick Mc Erlean [mailto:patrick.mcerlean@googlemail.com]
>> Subject: Re: How do I update the commons-fileupdate JAR from
>> 1.0 to 1.2?
>>
>> Apparently the reason Apache rejects this request is that there is a
>> Content Length check for -1 in the FileUploadBase class.
>>

> Not true in this case - FileUploadBase is not involved, as I keep trying
> to explain.  IIRC, there is such a check in Tomcat's standard HTTP
> handler, since the standard handler needs to know how big a buffer to
> get for the entire request.  You have apparently made the invalid
> assumption that the -1 check can only exist in one place, when in fact
> it is rather pervasive.
>
> The proper fix is for your webapp to actually use commons-fileupload,
> which it is not currently doing.

Chuck, I don't understand how using commons-fileupload in my Servlet is
going to make any difference since the request never makes it as far as
my Servlet? Can you explain how you think this would work? If the HTTP
request doesn't make it as far as my Servlet then how can I affect what
happens?

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Patrick Mc Erlean [mailto:patrick.mcerlean@googlemail.com]
> Subject: Re: How do I update the commons-fileupdate JAR from
> 1.0 to 1.2?
>
> Apparently the reason Apache rejects this request is that there is a
> Content Length check for -1 in the FileUploadBase class.

Not true in this case - FileUploadBase is not involved, as I keep trying
to explain.  IIRC, there is such a check in Tomcat's standard HTTP
handler, since the standard handler needs to know how big a buffer to
get for the entire request.  You have apparently made the invalid
assumption that the -1 check can only exist in one place, when in fact
it is rather pervasive.

The proper fix is for your webapp to actually use commons-fileupload,
which it is not currently doing.

> It's pretty clear to me that there is a problem with Chunked Transfer
> somewhere in Apache since it doesn't work. Chunked Transfer sets the
> Content Length to -1 and Apache doesn't like that.

BTW, you shouldn't use the unqualified term "Apache", unless you're
referring to the open-source software development organization, not any
particular product of that organization.  For the subject of this
discussion, just refer to Tomcat.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: How do I update the commons-fileupdate JAR from 1.0 to 1.2?

Posted by Patrick Mc Erlean <pa...@googlemail.com>.
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Patrick Mc Erlean [mailto:patrick.mcerlean@googlemail.com]
>> Subject: Re: How do I update the commons-fileupdate JAR from
>> 1.0 to 1.2?
>>
>> I understand what you're saying and it does seem strange that the
>> commons-fileupload jar lives under the manager webapp.
>>

> Not strange at all - the manager webapp uses it to deploy apps from the
> client workstation onto the server.
>

>> However, my understanding is that this jar is part of the
>> Apache Tomcat base installation and that it plays a part
>> in the processing of all HTTP requests.
>>

> Nope - this particular instance only comes into play when deploying apps
> with Tomcat's manager app.  If you have another app that's making use of
> the commons-fileupload*.jar, it must have its own copy.  That's why I
> keep asking you what URL or webapp the mobile device is accessing - but
> you still haven't answered that question.
>

>> Do you see what I am saying? This commons-fileupload jar is part of
>> Apache Tomcat and is used to parse every HTTP request.
>>

> It is only part of Tomcat's manager app; it is not global to all of
> Tomcat.
>

>> I just need to know how to update it properly.
>>

> I suspect the real problem is your webapp is not using
> commons-fileupload at all, and is merely trying to read in data directly
> from the stream.  If you would simply answer the question about which
> webapp the mobile device is accessing, perhaps we could get somewhere.

[Patrick]

The URL of my servlet is
http://www.noveleditions.com/gaaradio/servlet/GAARadioServlet. My
servlet does read from the input stream of the http servet request, and
doesn't use FileUploadBase directly. The servlet lives in a webapp
directory called gaaradio. The servlet mapping is set up and works fine
when the HTTP POST data is less than 2016 bytes. However in the case
where I get the 411 code my servlet is never invoked. I know this
because I have the RequestDumperValve turned on in Tomcat and no logs
are output in that case. That leads me to believe that something checks
the request before it hits my servlet and since it is rejected my
servlet is not invoked.

My client side code creates a HttpConnection (MIDP2.0) and then opens an
output stream to write the POST data. The servlet opens an input stream
to read that data. If the client writes POST data of less than 2016
bytes everything works fine. If the client writes POST data > 2016 bytes
then the MIDP stack sends that data as Chunked Transfer (I have no
control over that). That's when I get a response code of 411 from the
Apache Tomcat server. In this later case the servlet does not get
invoked at all. It appears that it is the actual servlet container that
rejects the request on the basis that it expects the Content-Length to
be something other than -1 (which is not HTTP 1.1. compliant).
Apparently the reason Apache rejects this request is that there is a
Content Length check for -1 in the FileUploadBase class. I don't know
how or what invokes that class but that looks to be what is causing this
bug. That class is fixed in the commons-fileupload-1.2.jar. Again, how
Apache invokes this , I don't know but it looks like it's invoked before
the request hits my servlet. As I say, the request never hits my servlet
in situations where I get the 411 response code (i.e. HTTP POST data
over 2016 bytes).

Here are a couple of references for further information:

http://developer.sonyericsson.com/thread.jspa?messageID=87668
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FILEUPLOAD-93

I'm fairly inexperienced in all of this stuff so forgive me if I'm being
niave.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Patrick Mc Erlean <pa...@googlemail.com>.
Chuck,

I understand what you're saying and it does seem strange that the
commons-fileupload jar lives under the manager webapp.

However, my understanding is that this jar is part of the Apache Tomcat
base installation and that it plays a part in the processing of all HTTP
requests.

There is a class in that jar called FileUploadBase, which actually
checks the Content-Length of the HTTP request (I think it parses the
HTTP request as well). In the erronous jar commons-fileupload-1.0.jar
(the one that comes as part of the base install) it checks for a content
length of -1 and returns the response code 411 if that length is -1. It
shouldn't do this because Chunked Transfer sets the Content-Length to -1
and it must support Chunked Transfer to be HTTP 1.1. compliant. The same
class in commons-fileupload-1.2.jar doesn't carry out this check and
should therefore not return 411 for Chunked Transfer.

Do you see what I am saying? This commons-fileupload jar is part of
Apache Tomcat and is used to parse every HTTP request. When I send in
HTTP POST with more than 2016 bytes then the mobile's stack Chunks it.
That request never makes it as far as my Servlet because Apache Tomcat
rejects it and I'm pretty sure that it's the class in the
commons-fileupload jar that rejects it with an error of 411. I was
surprised that this jar lived under a webapp (albeit a Tomact shipped
webapp), as opposed to being part of the shared lib paths such as
common/lib or server/lib but that's where it is in 5.5.20.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Patrick Mc Erlean <pa...@googlemail.com>.
Charles,

My understanding is that the manager webapp is part of the Apache Tomcat
installation. It's definitely not my app.

I was told that the commons-fileupload-1.2 jar would fix my problem
(i.e. it would accept chunked transfer for HTTP POSTs).

The only place I found the commons-fileupload-1.0.jar was in that
manager webapp so I assumed that's where the commons-fileupload-1.2.jar
file should go.

I deleted the old jar and replaced it with the new jar in the same
directory but it doesn't solve the problem.

I need someone to tell me if it's as simple as replacing the jar? Maybe
there are other dependecies for this to work?

Regards, Patrick.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.