Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by tanas gjorgoski <tg...@gmail.com> on 2018/10/18 16:13:32 UTC

[rcp][platform] Moving UI application based on Netbeans RCP 6.9.1 to 9.0 ?

Hi,

The company I work for has an UI app built using the Netbeans Rich Client Platform (RCP)  6.9.1 version. It has stopped working under JDK 9, and I got the job of figuring out what to do.
I think it would be best if we can move to Netbeans 9.0, instead of patching the 6.9.1 code. But before I look into it , I thought to ask:
a)  is the RCP still supported as part of Netbeans 9.0
b) given that I expect the work might take possibly a month - is it better to look into moving to 10.0?
c) is the support for the RCP planned to continue in future?

Thanks,
Tanas Gjorgoski

Re: [rcp][platform] Moving UI application based on Netbeans RCP 6.9.1 to 9.0 ?

Posted by tanas gjorgoski <tg...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Geertjan!

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
https://www.chartsy.one/

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
The RCP is still supported and will be. I don't think 9.0 versus 10.0
will matter in terms of RCP, so if you have to pick something, go with
the latest version.

Backporting stuff for 6.9.1 might be an option depending how expensive
the migration is going to be, but I think there's value in the
migration itself.

--emi

Posted by Eirik Bakke <eb...@ultorg.com>.
> do newer versions support building the Netbeans Platform apps using maven too?
Yes--myself I moved from Ant to Maven for my own platform app a few years ago. It works great.

(Note that for maven builds, platform developers must build the platform artifacts themselves using the nb-repository-plugin until https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-467 is resolved. I added a comment to that bug with the commands I used.)

-- Eirik

Posted by tanas gjorgoski <tg...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Eirik!
That definitely seems like a promising path to take.
Also thanks for the script you attached to the jira ticket, it should be a big help!

Posted by Eirik Bakke <eb...@ultorg.com>.

Posted by tanas gjorgoski <tg...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the link Neil!

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.