Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by evol__ <da...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/06 06:15:43 UTC

"value boosts"? (boosting a multiValued field's data)

Hi. Is the "expansion" method described in the following year old post still
the best available way to do this?
http://www.nabble.com/newbie-Q-regarding-schema-configuration-tf1814271.html#a4956602

The way I understand it, indexing these
    <field name="foo" boost="1.0">First val</field>
    <field name="foo" boost="0.8">Less important value</field>
would just make the boost "0.8" field-wide?

Best regards,
D.

Re: "value boosts"? (boosting a multiValued field's data)

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On 11/6/07, evol__ <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi. Is the "expansion" method described in the following year old post still
> the best available way to do this?
> http://www.nabble.com/newbie-Q-regarding-schema-configuration-tf1814271.html#a4956602
>
> The way I understand it, indexing these
>     <field name="foo" boost="1.0">First val</field>
>     <field name="foo" boost="0.8">Less important value</field>
> would just make the boost "0.8" field-wide?

Yes... all boost values for multivalued fields are multiplied
together.  Nothing we can do about that... only one norm (boost *
lengthNorm) is stored per document per unique field.

-Yonik