Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Cauvery Developer <ka...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/01 09:27:34 UTC

setRAMBufferSizeMB and DEFAULT_RAM_BUFFER_SIZE_MB missing from IndexWriter !

Hi,
I am having lucene-core-2.2.0.jar in my CLASSPATH. I do NOT see the method
setRAMBufferSizeMB method and the field DEFAULT_RAM_BUFFER_SIZE_MB missing
from IndexWriter class. I looked into the source also and sure enough, these
items do not exist.

Is this a download issue ?

Regards,
Nags.

Re: Javadocs and Nightly Builds

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.
Cool, thanks Grant!

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.
Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> Done.  For the record, the script runs:

Cool, thanks!

> /usr/local/bin/svn export --force
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/site/docs /www/lucene.apache.org/java/docs
>

>> Another question: Do we also want to have a link to the unreleased
>> documentation on the main website? If yes, then the link should probably
>> be somewhere in the Resources->Developers section?
>
> +1

OK, I'll add a link to the web site.
Could you also add the following line, please:

/usr/local/bin/svn export --force
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/trunk/docs
/www/lucene.apache.org/java/docs/nightly

Thanks,
-Michael

Re: Javadocs and Nightly Builds

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

/usr/local/bin/svn export --force http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/site/docs
  /www/lucene.apache.org/java/docs

> (before you used to "svn co" from
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/trunk/docs)
>
> The files are in place, you can update your cron as soon as you get a
> chance.
>
> Another question: Do we also want to have a link to the unreleased
> documentation on the main website? If yes, then the link should
> probably
> be somewhere in the Resources->Developers section?

+1

Thanks for all your hard work on this!

Re: Javadocs and Nightly Builds

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
It is svn exported from a crontab on p.a.o under my account.  If you
can tell me what commands need to be run, I can add it.

Presumably the new version of Hudson has the ability to do scp now,
but I haven't had a chance to tackle that yet.  At some point, we
should tackle that, which will simplify a lot of this process.

-Grant

On Jan 10, 2008, at 9:35 PM, Michael Busch wrote:

> Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>> Works for me.
>>
>> -Grant
>>

> OK, I checked in the new web site into a new location outside of
> trunk:
> lucene/java/site/. The nightly cron job must copy the files now from
> lucene/java/site/docs instead of lucene/java/trunk/docs. Which
> script do
> I have to change, Grant? The copying is not being done in nighlty.sh
> anymore, right?
>
> I'll update the trunk site later tonight (have to run to the Sharks
> vs.
> Canucks game now ;) )

Hope it was a good game!

Re: Javadocs and Nightly Builds

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.
Chris Hostetter wrote:

> i trust you :)

Thanks! :)

> i figured it was a work in progress, i just wasn't sure what your plan was
> for what docs would live in the "site" and which would live in the
> release.  When i poked arround your preview directory earlier i found two
> copies of "gettingstarted.html" one linked to from releases.html (which
> looks like it will be in the site) and one linked to from the nav of the
> 2.3 docs (hence my initial confusion, and my delving into the commit,
> and falling down the rabbit hole)...
>
> http://people.apache.org/~buschmi/preview/releases.html
> http://people.apache.org/~buschmi/preview/gettingstarted.html
> http://people.apache.org/~buschmi/preview/2_3_0/gettingstarted.html

True... I forgot to delete
http://people.apache.org/~buschmi/preview/gettingstarted.html. It should
really only be in one place. Thanks for catching!

Please review the 2.3 docs (in RC2:
http://people.apache.org/~buschmi/staging_area/lucene_2_3/rc2/).

I also generated the main web site files. We still have to change the
cron job to copy from lucene/java/site/docs instead of
lucene/java/trunk/docs. When that's done I'll also update
lucene/java/trunk/docs. If I do that now, the cron job will mess up the
website tonight.

-Michael

Re: Javadocs and Nightly Builds

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: The short answer is: I wasn't done yet :-). I'll update the trunk and
: 2.3 branch soon. You can see a preview of the changes I'm going to make
: here: http://people.apache.org/~buschmi/preview/. The 2.3 release will
: then only have 2.3 specific docs.

i trust you :)

i figured it was a work in progress, i just wasn't sure what your plan was
for what docs would live in the "site" and which would live in the
release.  When i poked arround your preview directory earlier i found two
copies of "gettingstarted.html" one linked to from releases.html (which
looks like it will be in the site) and one linked to from the nav of the
2.3 docs (hence my initial confusion, and my delving into the commit,
and falling down the rabbit hole)...

http://people.apache.org/~buschmi/preview/releases.html
http://people.apache.org/~buschmi/preview/gettingstarted.html
http://people.apache.org/~buschmi/preview/2_3_0/gettingstarted.html

-Hoss

Re: Javadocs and Nightly Builds

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.
Chris Hostetter wrote:
> : OK, I checked in the new web site into a new location outside of trunk:
> : lucene/java/site/. The nightly cron job must copy the files now from
>
> Uh ... point of clarification: these files all seem to be have been
> "svn add"ed (not "svn move"d or "svn copy"ied so they don't have any
> history preserved), and the existing versions all still live
> in the trunk...  each doc should really only live in one place right?
> either in the site or in the releases?

You're right, I should have used "svn copy" and "svn move". I'll delete
the files and do it again.

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Works for me.

-Grant

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> I don't know, I think it is nice to have explicit links to previous ones
> as well, but it is one extra click.  I suspect that is the main thing
> people want from previous versions so it is nice to not have to dig deep
> into the Site Versions and have it right there from the javadocs link.

FYI, in Hadoop we've split the project web site from the
version-specific documentation.  Releases only contain version-specific
documentation.  The project's web site is maintained outside of trunk.
The version-specific documentation is linked to from the project website
and appears as a tab.

Note that the 0.14 docs are grafted into this, and still include project
docs, so look at the 0.15 docs for a complete example.

http://lucene.apache.org/hadoop/docs/r0.15.2/

Doug

Re: Javadocs and Nightly Builds

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.
Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> Or, how about 2.3 and the current javadocs page?  Such as:
>
> Javadocs
>  - Latest Release -> points to latest official release
>  - All Releases  -> points to current javadocs page

OK sounds good. I will make the change!

-Michael

Re: Javadocs and Nightly Builds

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Jan 10, 2008, at 5:02 PM, Michael Busch wrote:

> Yeah, but I think the Javadocs site will become pretty full when we
> add
> 2.3 links (and 2.4, 2.9, 3.0 in the future). Because we have to have
> multiple links for core, demo, and contribs from 2.3 on.

We can age out older versions.  We only have through 2.x on there now.

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

--------------------------

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Hmm, it is possible, with a fair amount of work, that I am not going
to do...  I'll just leave it as is

--------------------------

Re: Javadocs and Nightly Builds was Re: setRAMBufferSizeMB and DEFAULT_RAM_BUFFER_SIZE_MB missing from IndexWriter !

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

--------------------------

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
OK, I committed some changes:

--------------------------

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Dec 3, 2007, at 1:31 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>> Right, the javadocs are for the nightly build.   See the Site
>> Versions section of http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/index.html
>> for releases.
>
> Unreleased stuff should only be linked to in a "developer" section
> of the website.  Right now the primary javadoc links on the website
> are to unreleased documentation.  We should fix this.
>
> Unreleased versions of software and documentation are not meant to
> be published under the Apache license.  This permits us a review of
> what's released, so that if something were to enter subversion that
> should not be released, we have an opportunity to remove it.  Thus
> we must maintain a clear line between what we expect the general
> public to download and view under the license, and the draft
> versions that we, the developer community, share amongst ourselves.
> Publishing unreleased things in a way that could be perceived as an
> official publication for end-users could weaken our control of what
> is licensed.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/lucene/java-dev/42616?search_string=javadocs%20nightly%20build
  contains the discussion on this from way back when.  I think we
pretty clearly mark the javadocs as being nightly build, but I suppose
we could make the Documentation->Javadoc link explicitly say it,
something like Javadoc Nightly Build.  Otherwise, we could replace the

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Right, the javadocs are for the nightly build.   See the Site Versions
section of http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/index.html for releases.

Also, these questions are best asked on java-user@apache.lucene.org.
We try to keep java-dev for discussion of development of the actual
library.

Thanks!

-Grant

Posted by Cauvery Developer <ka...@gmail.com>.