Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/19 15:12:58 UTC

The word ”Basic” (the programming language) is translated to Swedish…

Tools → Macros → Organize macros → OpenOffice Basic…
Translated to:
Verktyg → Makron → Organisera makron → OpenOffice grundläggande…

Should be translated to:
Verktyg → Makron → Organisera makron → OpenOffice Basic
since the word Basic in this case is a programming language and should not
be translated.

Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1.

Johnny Rosenberg

P.S. It would be fun though, to translate Apache OpenOffice to ”Apache
ÖppetKontor”… D.S.

Re: The word ”Basic” (the programming language) is translated to Swedish…

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> Yes, and I thought he was subscribed to this list, because I think I saw
> him post here before, so I just though I would reach the right person by
> writing here.

This is totally correct. An issue has the additional advantage of
tracking changes, but it's not always needed for a quick fix: most of us
simply fix strings in Pootle.

And, about Pootle: Johnny, since your Swedish is very likely better than
mine and better than Alexandro's, next time feel free to suggest the
fixes directly (no registration needed) at
https://translate.apache.org/sv/aoo40/
and send a note here, so that your fixes can be incorporated and
approved by vicinity, me, Alexandro or anybody else.

Or if you prefer to have a personal account just request one:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Pootle_User_Guide/Registration_and_Login

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: The word ”Basic” (the programming language) is translated to Swedish…

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> 2013/10/20 Stefan Högberg:
>> In summary I think it is okay that people fix things in the Swedish
>> translation. I also think it is a good idea to inform the rest of us about
>> acitivty on this mail list, in order to get an idea of what has been
>> modified and improved, and also learn; also in order to avoid a ping-pong
>> effect where one person correct in one way, and another person correct back
>> to another way, and so on in infinity.

OK, so the best procedure is:
- The reporter writes to this list
- The reporter, or anyone else, like Alexandro did this time, suggests
the fix in Pootle (but only as "suggestion" unless you are a native speaker)
- A person from the translation team (in this case, Stefan/Vicinity)
acutally accepts the change; if the change is left pending for too long,
someone will eventually review it, but it's best to leave it to a native
speaker whenever possible.

> I was looking around on that web page that was suggested, but I didn't know
> what file to look in. Which file hold the translations for menu items in
> Calc?

Use the Pootle search function. It's the best way to find strings, more
reliable than file path (which will anyway change for 4.1).

>> P.S. The fixes we make in translation (Pootle), will show up in the next
>> version of OpenOffice, supposedly 4.0.2
> Sounds great to me. When is that, approximately?

No plans at the moment. We may or may not release a 4.0.2 on our way to
4.1. Factors would be: availability of significant bug fixes for 4.0.1,
security improvements, timing (such as a decision to put more features
into 4.1 -OpenOffice does not have a time-based schedule- and thus the
convenience of an intermediate 4.0.2 release).

Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> verify that the bugzilla l10n - sv component point to a real person.

Bugzilla components do not point to persons any longer. We could
actually consider to notify this list about new l10n bugs. This is a
configuration that a Bugzilla administrator could probably apply.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: The word ”Basic” (the programming language) is translated to Swedish…

Posted by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>.
2013/10/20 Stefan Högberg <st...@aol.com>

> Dear Sirs,
>
> Thank you for finding the error of translation - "Basic" referred to the
> programming language.
>
> I think it is a good practice to add a comment for this translation, in
> order to avoid it to be changed in the future.
> https://translate.apache.org/sv/aoo40/translate.html#unit=15565390
> https://translate.apache.org/sv/aoo40/translate.html#unit=14289103
>
> I think captitilization is the usual way of writing BASIC. My suggestion
> is to use capitals for BASIC programming language everywhere in order to
> avoid confusion and because it is standard.

Basic is written with a capital B (isn't it?) in the English version.
Normally things with a capital first letter shouldn't be translated, like
Johnny, Volvo, Ubuntu, Apple, OpenOffice or whatever. There are exceptions
of course, like months and weekdays that, for some strange reasons, has
their first letter capitalised in English and not in Swedish. Anyway:
OpenOffice Basic – the programming language
OpenOffice basic – ”OpenOffice grundläggande” in Swedish, which doesn't
make sense anyway, I think…

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
I agree in principle with what you said but here are things i would also recomend:
- pootle profile should link to email not just a nick with stats
- bugzilla is the main use of bugs and for a user should be a main destination, not everyone knows pootle or should know it.
- Should verify that the bugzilla l10n - sv component point to a real person.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Posted by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.